What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
suffolkpete

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1061 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Sounds a lot of money for a non-runner, RHD cars must be hard to shift in France. You need to find out exactly what's wrong and how much it would cost to fix. My innate cynicism tells me that if it were something simple the seller would have done it.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Dick

#1062 Post by Dick » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm
Sounds a lot of money for a non-runner, RHD cars must be hard to shift in France. You need to find out exactly what's wrong and how much it would cost to fix. My innate cynicism tells me that if it were something simple the seller would have done it.
You're not wrong there mate, but second hand cars are a lot more expensive than the uk. When I brought my mr2 over it was a third of the price id pay here.. there was quite a market until brexit came along..

Dick

#1063 Post by Dick » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 pm

I've messaged the owner and asked a few simple questions, and had no response.. now ive found an 04 206 cc :scared:

gazza82

#1064 Post by gazza82 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Quite fancy a TR4A ...

.... but not sure SHMBO would let me have a fourth car! (Subaru BRZ., Peugeot 206, & the Austin A35 project!)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#1065 Post by Dick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:55 pm
Quite fancy a TR4A ...

.... but not sure SHMBO would let me have a fourth car! (Subaru BRZ., Peugeot 206, & the Austin A35 project!)
When you find out how to convince shmbo that you need another car, let me know...im now looking for a ford galaxy... mine is a bit sad... :oops:

GHT

#1066 Post by GHT » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 am

gazza82 wrote:
Quite fancy a TR4A ...
Had to look up SHMBO, I'm used to acronyms that use the initial letter, as in: SWMBO, there again text speak where the letter 'U' replaces 'you,' brings me out in hives.
As for her permission, this might help:
women-and-cats.png
women-and-cats.png (54.24 KiB) Viewed 6609 times
Nothing like a warm pussy. And as for that A35 project, do let me know when it's finished, I know just the job that you can put it to.
Wallis & Gromit.jpg
Wallis & Gromit.jpg (185 KiB) Viewed 6609 times

gazza82

#1067 Post by gazza82 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 am

I'm a long, long way to getting my A35 in that state!!

Owners' Club have had that van on our stand at NEC in the past.

We've also discovered the where-abouts of James Hunt's old A35 van (conversion). :thumbs:

It was bought at auction a few months ago and is owned by a new Club member. It is currently under-going repairs as it had been badly neglected. We think, but we aren't 100% sure, it may be the most expensive A35 in the UK!! :shock:

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

gazza82

#1068 Post by gazza82 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am

GHT wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 am
gazza82 wrote:
Quite fancy a TR4A ...
Had to look up SHMBO, I'm used to acronyms that use the initial letter, as in: SWMBO,
Does help if I learned to type (or put my reading specs on!) ... only worked in IT for 40+ years ... some of that as a programmer!! (Still coding for Owners' Club as I manage the website!)

JPB

#1069 Post by JPB » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 am

Sorry to be so darned picky, GHT, but SWMBO isn't an acronym.*
More relevant - for all the apparent difference that makes ;) - is that I've just had the payout for the bB from the insurance company. To put this into some sort of context, I paid £2200 for LY55ZMU in 2016, when the car had a mere 119000KM on the odometer and was a fresh import.
Current value was agreed at £3295 with 193000 on the odometer though admittedly with an unblemished record of trustworthy service! The council hasn't bothered to fix the barrier and the damage to the rocks below the cliff edge is minimal, thanks to the car not having lost any fluids when it dropped over, so the section of the coal beach on which we landed after the impact needs no restoration work, meaning that the entire amount as valued is mine, bar a mere £100 for both excesses.

The moral of this tale is that if you try to buy the farm, as they say, by doing your own, low budget version of that scene from Thelma and Louise, with a bit of Italian Job coach imbalance action thrown in for good value, then make sure that you buy a rare, JDM only car whose value has increased year on year and pay the tenner to protect your NCD. I wish I'd removed my Kenwood head unit though, and replaced it with the bB's original MD player to fill the slot because the Dickshovery's radio is utter pooh and speaks only the Japanese version of Bluetooth.
Ho hum. :lol:

*- It's an initialism. An acronym is an actual word ie "Fix or repair daily" (Ford) or "Lots of trouble, usually serious" (Sorry, Lotus, but I couldn't be arsed to make up anything original.)

See you next Tuesday, :shock:

J
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#1070 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 am

JPB wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:27 am
Sorry to be so darned picky, GHT, but SWMBO isn't an acronym.*
It's an initialism. An acronym is an actual word ie "Fix or repair daily" (Ford) or "Lots of trouble, usually serious" (Sorry, Lotus, but I couldn't be arsed to make up anything original.)
See you next Tuesday, :shock:

J
You are probably right, I didn't look it up. Many years ago I was in the crown court due to a serious theft from our company's storage warehouse. This was the pre-laptop era when computers were somewhat large and referred to as a VDU.
The judge could have been a plausible extra in a Carry-On film: "And what pray is a VDU?" He demanded. "It's an acronym. M'Lud," replied the prosecution barrister, "a visual display unit."
My regional manager who was sitting next to me, leaned forward and whispered, "he probably thinks it's an unsociable disease."
That's my memory of an acronym and also learning to keep a straight face when someone has flicked the giggle switch.
So FIAT, as in: "Fix It Again Tony," is an acronym, whilst DHL as in Down Hill Logistics is an initialism. Have I got that right?