breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Atodini

Re: breakdown truck

#3211 Post by Atodini » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 am

Since the laws changed you now have to be 21 or over to drive a three-wheeler...

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

suffolkpete

#3212 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am

The legislation is very ambiguous, but my interpretation is that a three wheeler weighing less than 550kg can be driven with a B1 entitlement from the age of 17. The term "motor tricycle" seems to be aimed at those motorcycle-derived monsters mainly driven by men with long beards and leather jackets.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

harvey

#3213 Post by harvey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:17 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 am

Harvey, im always interested in vehicle's of all shapes and sizes.. so yes please

Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

GHT

#3214 Post by GHT » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:07 pm

suffolkpete wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:53 am
The term "motor tricycle" seems to be aimed at those motorcycle-derived monsters mainly driven by men with long beards and leather jackets.
I wonder who that could be?
billy.jpg
billy.jpg (188.52 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

JPB

#3215 Post by JPB » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:42 am

Atodini wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:30 am
Since the laws changed you now have to be 21 or over to drive a three-wheeler...
John
Hmm, I get the idea, but consider that it's permissible to marry at sixteen, to drive a potentially far more deadly light motor vehicle at seventeen and to drink, gamble or vote at eighteen.
Any of these activities - especially the voting and the marrying - can, in my opinion, present a far greater risk than driving a three wheeled device, so why make the "yoof" wait 'till they're almost grown up to learn how not to make a small, three wheeled car fall over, a feat that's a lot less easy than some folk believe, especially if the driver has even the slightest concept of self preservation. On the only occasion I've ever driven a three wheeled thing further than a few miles, I soon forgot that I wasn't driving my kitten as apart from the much wider tunnel, both cars felt fairly similar.. Right up to the point when I spotted the brick lying in the road and steered, out of instinct, to straddle it. No damage done, but lesson learnt. Life saved by a soft front tyre. :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3216 Post by Dick » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Many thanks for the info, nephew was really grateful for the advice, sadly he got there about half an hour too late and it was sold..
Thanks Harvey for the truck photos, nice!
If you find any more please feel free to share. :D

Dick

#3217 Post by Dick » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:27 am

JPB

#3218 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Pffft! Real Toyota vans don't have bonnets to get in between the driver's eyes and the rear of the car in front. ;)

The smaller, car-shaped van may be a solution to the time my sensibly spacious one is going to be spending now he's all cosy in my covered storage, awaiting new interior, a wrap in purple with leopard spots, some Mitsubishi Pajero wheels with 265/65% r15" Cooper tyres and maybe even some new wiper arms, though in my defence, these rusty ones are as found, still hold the blades perfectly well and are, like the equally flash rusted ones on the smaller car in the foreground, protected for now by clearcoat rather than paint which would kill that sun-baked look, earned by long term exposure to Japan's summer sun.

And here's the best of eBay's current crop of camper vans, IMHO: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedford-CF19 ... SwVE9fKyb2
:drool: :drool: :drool:
OK, so these bunks make it look like a mobile prison along that side, but the bog looks big enough to be fiddled about with, maybe to fit a shower in there? These used to be available with automatic transmission too, so anything would be possible.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#3219 Post by GHT » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:48 am

JPB wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:52 pm
OK, so these bunks make it look like a mobile prison along that side, but the bog looks big enough to be fiddled about with, maybe to fit a shower in there? These used to be available with automatic transmission too, so anything would be possible.
A shower with automatic transmission, amazing. What will they think of next?

JPB

#3220 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:52 am

Hmm, methinks someone may have caught a dose of "pedantitis." :lol: I was eventually almost cured of this very annoying condition when an Uncle, Jack, had been having problems involving his beloved hobby of pony trekking and was becoming so sore after a long ride that someone had to help Jack, off his horse. (Comma optional but highly recommended.) :|

Automatic showers are, in fact, a real thing, like this beauty, wow, bargain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watermill-He ... SwktpfAeLp
:drool:
J