breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#3031 Post by JPB » Sat May 16, 2020 10:05 pm

The Dickshovery needed to come home, so although it wasn't mine for long when I last owned it in 2018-2019 I had immediately regretted getting shot of it. :oops:

Such is life! I love the idea that the Lotus Carlton exists, but would rather have its engine in a van of some sort. The 240 GLT is nice, but those 3 speed + o/d versions have an Aisin-Warner (Toyota) automatic 'box. Nothing wrong with that, you may perfectly fairly say, but although the same unit in my campervan is leak free, the ones supplied to Volvo by Toyota for the post-Borg Warner 3 speed models tend to use their rear oil seal to carve a neat wee groove in the nose of the propshaft, which means that most of those either leave pink drips everywhere they go, or have already had the Chicago Rawhide "Speedi-sleeve" modification, which is an interference fitting sleeve that goes over the original propshaft and is so thin that a stock oil seal can be used, which will fail to carve a groove in the superior quality steel of the sleeve.
I do like a 240 series car though, and ordinarily, it would want to be a 245 for me, but clean enough though the white one is, a very lovely saloon is on my eBay spotcher just now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-244DL- ... Sw6ZperopZ

Damn! Just sold. I like that year best of all with the earlier, massive bumpers combined with the larger rear lamps and the dashboard that comes with a rev counter even on a DL version. There's also a very clean looking maroon 244 at a much lower price, but it's a manual, nice buy for someone though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-1975 ... Sw4qZd9q99 and that's pretty early with its LHD wiper pattern, later corrected for RHD examples like the Dunoon one and its other early features. I can just see the late Dudley Moore smoking about in that. "Boxy but pretty good" I believe was the phrase he used as the marketing bloke in that film.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3032 Post by Dick » Mon May 18, 2020 8:45 pm

So why won't you be getting it dirty?
Meanwhile
https://www.leboncoin.fr/livres/1770459239.htm/

JPB

#3033 Post by JPB » Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm

I might, but it's far too good to go green lane driving as it would then get dirty and probably battered and broken. That said, I prefer green lanes when the van is providing the transport.. And the tea, fried egg sarnies & hot water for handwashing kind of seal the deal. However, the odd mud splash or a drive around a field for fun may be considered for the Disco, which good though it is, may still be moved on - again - and would earn me enough to buy something tasty to fill a small, narrow space in my hut. I haven't made any sort of firm decision yet, we shall see what happens during the rest of the year and if - as is another possibility - I sell up everything apart from my Sharp VZ-2000 "portable" ( :lol: aye right, they weigh around nine stones) vertical record playing boombox, my many, many LPs and singles collected since the early seventies and my van, which would fit right in where I'm thinking about flitting to should that idea bear fruit.
The UK's less appealing by the day, not least for administrative reasons.
;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3034 Post by Dick » Tue May 19, 2020 11:52 am

Im not so keen on green laning.. i see no point in churning up the tracks etc but a 4x4 should be used for towing, winter driving or off road work though...if you sell up where would you move to?

JPB

#3035 Post by JPB » Tue May 19, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm looking at New Zealand mostly, but I need to be at least 99% certain before I go for an extended visit to the family members who stay down there as I can't fly and it's a hell of a long time at sea. Other options are closer to the UK and can be accessed by car, van or motor tricycle but either way, I'm ready for a change of scene and don't mean moving back up north in spite of that option being a great compromise for the couple of months of the year when the sunlight seems endless. Come winter, it's bloody miserable!
J

Dick

#3036 Post by Dick » Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 am

I was keen to go to nz. Ive always found the people friendly.. Canada is my second choice but as usual with my plans i now live here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dick

#3037 Post by Dick » Wed May 20, 2020 11:45 am

Dick

#3038 Post by Dick » Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 am

Dick

#3039 Post by Dick » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

Dick

#3040 Post by Dick » Fri May 22, 2020 7:29 pm