Bbc link

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

Bbc link

#1 Post by Dick » Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 am

GHT

Re: Bbc link

#2 Post by GHT » Wed May 13, 2020 1:39 pm

On some computers you can zoom in on a photo, if mine does that I've yet to learn how. Look closely at the hub cap. Can you see the Mercedes three pointed star?

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Wed May 13, 2020 5:27 pm

Three pointed star eh? For you, chaps, here's a picture of a Fuldamobile in better condition that the one in the BBC news image :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :

Close, GHT, but no cigar. ;)
Apparently, that 1959 model has a 191cc Sachs engine and - better yet - has a fold down bed that's formed from its seats. So that's where the BMC 1100/1300 estate (ADO16) got the idea from. And what else do we know and love that has a bed? The Maxi of course! So that's the first ever micro camper and, apart from a few single bed Reliant van conversions, quite possibly the only 3 wheeled camper you're likely to find. Oh man, how badly do I want one, but preferably not the blue one, I think that bright red suits it better.

Oh, and for future reference, Rich, it's easiest to identify things by clicking the image with two fingers on your touchpad, then copying the image location and pasting its address into an image search. :mrgreen:

:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 am

JPB wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:27 pm
Oh, and for future reference, Rich, it's easiest to identify things by clicking the image with two fingers on your touchpad, then copying the image location and pasting its address into an image search.
What is this gobble-de-gook thou speaketh of? Click the image with two fingers, who do think you are? Churchill?
Are you seriously trying to tell us that you like that little three wheeled pac-a-mac thingy? Have you seen the front of it? Enough to give you the squits:
Fuldamobil.JPG
Fuldamobil.JPG (84.62 KiB) Viewed 16628 times

Dick

#5 Post by Dick » Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 pm

GHT wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 am
JPB wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:27 pm
Oh, and for future reference, Rich, it's easiest to identify things by clicking the image with two fingers on your touchpad, then copying the image location and pasting its address into an image search.
What is this gobble-de-gook thou speaketh of? Click the image with two fingers, who do think you are? Churchill?
Are you seriously trying to tell us that you like that little three wheeled pac-a-mac thingy? Have you seen the front of it? Enough to give you the squits:
Fuldamobil.JPG
Sorry john i have no idea what you mean...
Could you use smaller words that ght and myself could understand
🤣

GHT

#6 Post by GHT » Thu May 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Dick wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 pm
Sorry john i have no idea what you mean... Could you use smaller words that ght and myself could understand
Techie types can't do that, they assume that which is common parlance in technobabble is common parlance to the rest of us. My earliest attempts at posting photos failed miserably. A big red noticed informed me that the file was to big. What file? A six inch rasp like tool for smoothing burrs or an upright cabinet for storing important pieces of paper out of sight of the taxman? File, what are they on about, file? I tried filing the corners of the photos, that didn't work, I found that swearing at the screen was cathartic, eventually my Godson explained that the term file is computer speak, he then showed me how to resize a file. I can now post photos.

I had a similar problem with cut & paste. Everyone said it was easy, it's only easy when you know how to do it. Saying it's easy isn't a reassurance, it's an annoyance. But what is easy is being able to drive a crash gearbox without crunching the gears, being able to double-de-clutch and not loosing concentration, absolute doddle.

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Thu May 14, 2020 4:14 pm

OK:
This is a touchpad, this one found on my "daily driver" which is an utterly conventional device as found in branches of Cash Converters everywhere:

This is a search engine:

:thumbs:

As is this, if you like being tracked everywhere you go:

:twisted:

By the way, that image wasn't the same model as the 1959 one in the deep dark wood, which is much less ugly from the front and yes, I would give house room to one of those, but only if my greenhouse were to be stolen and I needed something to do the job temporarily 'til Greenhouses R Us open for business again, once we're allowed out a little bit more frequently.. :|

:scared:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#8 Post by Dick » Thu May 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Sorry mate its all too testicle for me... ill be trying this duck thing as i like the name... i suppose i really am that shallow 0 :scared:

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Thu May 14, 2020 9:38 pm

:lol:
That's as good a reason as any for giving it a hurl in place of the evil Google :D .. The same evil Google that created and still owns something called Android, the operating system found in 70.68% of mobile telephones. I think it's likely that the daft name was in fact designed to make people stop for a look, just as I did some time in the old world, before the bad virus. In fairness to Google, they still have the greatest quantity of results of all the search engines, but that's more a result of the human tendency to be reluctant to take a jump into the unknown than anything else

Just remember that no amount of security can prevent people looking over your shoulder when you're browsing.. :oops:

Meanwhile, here's an actual breakdown truck. :? Oh sorry, wrong thread. so we want a BBC link eh?
Here's one involving cars: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=b006t860 . Sadly, I didn't see any Fuldamobiles in the show. Pah! It'll never take off I tells ye.
J

GHT

#10 Post by GHT » Fri May 15, 2020 6:54 am

DuckDuckGo now you've got my attention. The reason my phone has never been connected to the internet is because I hate this profiling that these big companies do. Then they sell that information on. I always pay cash so that credit card companies can't track or profile me, and again that's why I have never had a loyalty card, supermarkets and others cannot track me. All I have to do now is work out where the Duck lives.