What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Dick

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1031 Post by Dick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:50 pm

That is nice!

Paul240480

#1032 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Would we take the pith out of our elders? Us of all people :lol:

Now the 50’s . I too love the era, music , clothes, the films too.

I was bought up on rock n roll having ‘inherited’ Dads records. A grand mix of 78’s and 45’s oh some 33’s too.

I had his old record deck in my bedroom when he got his EKCO music centre. I got the records too as he said they would knacker the needle on his new centre. Little did he know I blasted them on it during school hols :lol:

I still have the 78’s and LPs now Dad is gone. I have a Dansette (blue) to play them on. Still works. Though I don’t let the 78’s drop!
The 45’s were nicked :cry: when my parents were away in their then holiday home in northern Cyprus. They had a company in to fit a new bathroom , this meant going up in the roof and we can only think they took the box of 45.s it was some years later that we went in search of them, so can only assume that’s where they ‘went’ :roll:

GHT

#1033 Post by GHT » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Call it childish, my missus calls it annoying, but I do like to wind people up, especially if my car is at a show. We don't go to many classic car shows simply because we have many other interests not just old cars. Of those that we do attend, they are usually part of something bigger, not just cars. Like a vintage weekend at a heritage steam railway. For safety's sake I've had LED light bulbs fitted, the originals were nothing more than candle power, but fitting LED's is total heresy and I should be soundly thrashed for my peccadillo. I have even been taken to task for having the impudence of fitting radials to a car that originally had crossplies. Bring it on, how I love to goad my detractors.

My talented missus makes most of my clothes, that's how I come to have original 1930's baggy pants. She makes my shirts too, and one of those shirts depicted old MG cars. What a great job she made of it, using lapel pins she fashioned them into octagon buttons. The shirt has had lots of attention and when asked where I bought it, I say, "From the MG catalogue." And to make that sound even more plausible I tell them that the hat came from there too. Serves them right for getting hot under the collar with me.
MG & others 004.JPG
MG & others 004.JPG (151.15 KiB) Viewed 20610 times
MG hat pin 003.JPG
MG hat pin 003.JPG (147.36 KiB) Viewed 20610 times

Dick

#1034 Post by Dick » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Your missus is very talented mate.. i have attended mgoc and other car shows and found most people to be decent but there are some who take themselves too seriously and are real a##holes.. so keep up your good work.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GHT

#1035 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:45 am

What would you buy and 'Y'
Sorry for the play on words, and letter, couldn't think where else to put this. First up. 1937 Ford Model Y. Followed by 1947 MG Model Y. Followed by Tesla 2020 Y.
_Model_Y_2_door_saloon_(1937).jpg
_Model_Y_2_door_saloon_(1937).jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 19990 times
mg-ya.jpg
mg-ya.jpg (240.99 KiB) Viewed 19990 times
model y.jpg
model y.jpg (118.04 KiB) Viewed 19990 times
The latter doesn't exactly stir the blood. I wonder what future generations will think when looking back? It's a 2020 Y Type, the year of the plague.

Dick

#1036 Post by Dick » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm

Why have you posted pics of a focus?
:scared:

GHT

#1037 Post by GHT » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:56 pm

Dick wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm
Why have you posted pics of a focus?
That's a very good point, and it's not just The Focus, nowadays cars are a big blob of clay, sculptured in a wind tunnel, all coming out so alike that you can only differentiate them by the marque's badge.
Last edited by GHT on Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick

#1038 Post by Dick » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm

Still no excuse to make an ugly blob

GHT

#1039 Post by GHT » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:56 pm

Dick wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm
Still no excuse to make an ugly blob
How right you are, more than that, in a poll of beautiful cars the one that came out top was launched sixty years ago. It has all the streamlining that helps to give it less wind resistance, and therefore less noise. The same streamlining improved it's fuel consumption and improved it's overall performance. What's not to like? Practicality I guess, it's not an SUV, or in any way a family car, but it's not, as you say, a blob. Why doesn't it inspire today's designers?
jaguar-e-type.jpg
jaguar-e-type.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 19937 times
jag-e-type.jpg
jag-e-type.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 19937 times

Atodini

#1040 Post by Atodini » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:37 am

Ah, these pictures prodded me to the old maxim, "never drive your heroes"......

Possible sacrilege to follow???

As a youngster, I only ever had 2 car posters on my bedroom wall, the E-type and a Lamborghini... I never was that interested in cars, preferring motorcycles so they vied for wall space with MV's Nortons, Beezas and Triumphs.....

Obviously brochures pilfered from Motor Shows which back in those days alternated between Earls Court and Olympia I recall.

I drove a lambo years back and recall it was nowhere near as awkward to drive as I had been led to believe, in fact going forwards it was very pleasant indeed - wouldn't want to reverse park the thing though and at 6'2" I'm taller than most....

But up to just over 3 years ago I'd never driven an E-type. Then out of the blue I got to drive 2 in the same day!!

An old friend owns these 2, one a late '60's 4.2 drop head, the other a US import V12 roadster. Over a coffee he just tossed me the keys to them!

As I said at the top, never drive your heroes.... Whilst the Jaguars are by far IMHO the prettiest cars ever made, I did not enjoy the 4.2 at all. Where do I start? It went well but neither the steering nor the brakes inspired any confidence at all, the former being heavier than I expected, the latter just lacking bite. It was very comfortable through the lanes but wasn't that easy to see where the corners are, particularly at the front, leaving me nervous at dinging that gorgeous bonnet!!

The V12 however I could have lived with. OK, not a sports car but clearly wasn't intended to be, but as a grand tourer it was excellent. If I had to be picky both the steering and brakes felt over-assisted, but still light years better than the earlier car... Possibly the US export spec had something to do with that. Also, being a roadster all-round visibility was superb. Still worried about where the front of the bonnet was though!!

Bear in mind my "car of choice" is a 1975 Reliant Kitten!!!! Though admittedly I can be persuaded to drive the wife's chariot, a 60 plate Peugeot Partner Tepee, which, for an upholstered van is actually quite decent...... Why oh why they fitted a 130bhp 1600cc twin ohc vvt engine in it though is a mystery to me (this has the later BMW-derived chain cam engine) - it is somewhat over powered for the chassis! Plus the gearing wasn't changed for the engine, just under 4000 rpm at 70 is Kitten territory. Surprisingly frugal on petrol though.

So IF I won the lottery, neither Jaguar nor a Lambo would be on my wish list - rapidly approaching the legendary threescore and ten so neither would be appropriate anyway :D

In fact the only vehicle I've mentioned would be the MV (Augusta)....... possibly!

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...