New top gear..

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
Dick

New top gear..

#1 Post by Dick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm

I watched the tour of Nepal.. a bit like the original series but watchable.. i might give the next series a look...

JPB

Re: New top gear..

#2 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm

The Grand Tour beats TG into a cocked hat, IMHO, especially as the latest series (4) began with an expedition through Vietnam in three totally different boats, yes.. Boats:
May came with a 1930s steam launch more suited to cruising on Derwent Water, a replica (as no originals from the war were left) PBR, being Clarkson's choice, the one in the show came with a pair of massive petrol fuelled V8s to power its turbines, and Hammond's choice which was a speedboat of the type used by pronogarphy magnates in Florida.

I did enjoy the TG Nepal episode, it was repeated tonight in fact, but if the Nepalese Mustang was only providing drive to its rear wheels, the fault was entirely Flintoff's, on account of he hadn't realised the function of the 2/4 wd selector or the FWHs on the front, as the propshaft to the front diff was intact and is clearly seen in the bit where the R4, brought along by the one who can actually drive, was being pushed as it had run out of breathable atmosphere, which made the Pug, driven by the funnier one out of Max & Paddy, seem all the more remarkable, given that it too was petrol engined and French.
I looked at the makers' website for information about the Mustang as its rugged good looks and obvious off road abilities appealed, but sadly, it seems that they no longer make it, a shame I thought.
:D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#3 Post by Dick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:48 pm

I wondered what they were playing at.. the front axle could be seen so the mustang thing should be 4wd... we dont get posh people's tv in our house so grand tour is offthe menu.. although there is top gear france if i get desperate :lol: :lol:

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:07 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:22 pm
Hammond's choice which was a speedboat of the type used by pronogarphy magnates in Florida.
Pronogarphy, I'm going to pinch that. It might upset the vicar's wife. She got uppity when I described the rain as persisting down. Can't think what she confused persisting with.

Zelandeth

#5 Post by Zelandeth » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:23 am

Just gave it a watch...and pretty much what I expected.

I enjoy Chris Harris. He's a proper petrol head, but one who can appreciate cars for what they're meant to be. He'll be grinning like a total loony irrespective of whether he's in a 1500bhp fire breathing Lambo, Lada Niva, or 2CV. He sees them in the right context. He can also drive and has more than two brain cells.

Have to admit though that the other pair just had me reaching for the skip forward control every time they opened their mouths or walked on screen. Who on earth goes on a car program, finds themselves in the middle of Nepal, picks up a huge great off roader...then doesn't take the necessary five minutes to work out how the four wheel drive system works?!?

Or is that just me applying far too much logic?

It WAS refreshing though to see them (mostly!) just sticking together as a team though rather than spending the whole show thinking up more and more infantile and or dangerous ways to make each other miserable.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.