What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Well I'd buy that. ^^^

#1021 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Now that is one very practical classic. Don't suppose you fancy swapping the jukebox for a house and a random assortment of motor vehicles? :oops:
I've had a couple of AMI jukeboxes - of a later period - through my hands in the past, but comparing even the better of these to the Wurlitzer in your photo is as pointless as comparing a chimpanzee to an elephant, in that both have the capacity to entertain people, yet only one can make tea, perform simple arithmetic and use a toilet other than as a source of refreshment.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

Re: Well I'd buy that. ^^^

#1022 Post by GHT » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:39 pm
Now that is one very practical classic. Don't suppose you fancy swapping the jukebox for a house and a random assortment of motor vehicles?
Such praise, I've had the Wurlitzer 30 years next April and it's still a novelty. Valve driven of course and three years older than the MG. We used to have a dippy paperboy, name of Dexter, who did the classic jaw drop the first time he saw it, that kid was so dippy that whenever we see a dopey kid we say: "Dexter."

Have you seen my 1922 Phillips push bike?

JPB

Re: Well I'd buy that. ^^^

#1023 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:21 pm

GHT wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 am
...Have you seen my 1922 Phillips push bike?
Methinks the answer is no, please show us the bike. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

Re: What would you buy & why?

#1024 Post by GHT » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:03 am

Following my recent hip replacement, the surgeon told me that I must exercise the leg to build up muscle tone because the surgical insult from the operation takes a long time to recover. He emphasised a passive kind of exercise, meaning no impact like running or jogging. I wonder if humping counts as impact, I should have asked. What he recommended was swimming and cycling. Swimming is something that I have always done but cycling was going to be a problem because lifting my injured leg over the crossbar would not be easy, nor would taking my body weight on it while I lifted the other leg. I tell you, such a drama about getting your leg over. My Missus came to the rescue and gave me her antique bike, with no crossbar, ladies style. Perfect. Naturally I have to dress the part, but then I always do, you should see the strange looks I get when shopping at Morrisons.
hats 014.JPG
hats 014.JPG (195.49 KiB) Viewed 647104 times

Paul240480

#1025 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:21 am

Très dapper! :scared:

Dick

#1026 Post by Dick » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 am

Paul240480 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:21 am
My thoughts exactly!
🤣

JPB

#1027 Post by JPB » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 am

That's an excellent image, which illustrates perfectly that real style is timeless. Were it not for the modern glazing and the TV aerial on a chimney in the far background, we could be looking at a scene from anywhere during the last 90 odd years.
Is that an oil bath chain on the classic bicycle? Why can we not have those on modern machines? Good for the mechanical health of the cycle, good for avoiding the occasional oil stains on one's clothing and also a safety feature that would, should the pilot be sufficiently unlucky to fall off, prevent chain-related injuries.

:thumbs:
J

GHT

#1028 Post by GHT » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 am

Dick wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:34 am
Paul240480 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:21 am
My thoughts exactly!
🤣
At first I wondered if there was just a teensie weensie p*ss take, but I will take the compliment. When you're an old fart, compliments, like sex, are a rarity, so take them whenever you can.
JPB wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 am
That's an excellent image, which illustrates perfectly that real style is timeless. Were it not for the modern glazing and the TV aerial on a chimney in the far background, we could be looking at a scene from anywhere during the last 90 odd years.
Is that an oil bath chain on the classic bicycle? Why can we not have those on modern machines? Good for the mechanical health of the cycle, good for avoiding the occasional oil stains on one's clothing and also a safety feature that would, should the pilot be sufficiently unlucky to fall off, prevent chain-related injuries.

:thumbs:
I'm impressed that you not only know of, but recognise, a bicycle oil bath chain, kudos to you. Perceptive of you to notice the double glazing, the house was originally an old two bed-roomed bungalow. The previous owner, was, in another life, a professional footballer, name of Paul Arnold, he played in goal for Southampton when they played at The Dell. It amused him that my missus and I had never seen a football match. Paul spent a small fortune turning the bungalow into a five bed-roomed house, so that there was a room each for his kids and his father-in-law, and a very good job he made of it too.

One thing that I do love is that the central heating, all new and re-plumbed, still has the original Fahrenheit dial. It goes well with our imperial measure bathroom and kitchen scales.

Dick

#1029 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Us take the p#ss ght? now wherever did you get that idea?? 🤣🤣🤣

GHT

#1030 Post by GHT » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 pm
Us take the p#ss ght? now wherever did you get that idea?? 🤣🤣🤣
Well Dick, seeing as you are such a kindly fellow and not one to send an old man up, I will share another little glimpse of one of my favourite pride & joys. Back in 1990, I can't believe that was thirty years ago, my missus and I were into the fifties Rock & Roll scene. All our friends were buying the cars of the period, big, flashy, chrome & fins. Whilst such a car had appeal, I didn't have the garage space and I'm not one to spend a lot of shekels on such a car just to leave it to the vagaries of the weather, so we went down the two wheeled route. It's a Heritage Springer Softail Harley Davidson. A retro design, we had that bike for about five years, never had a single mishap, not even a near miss, in fact car drivers would slow down and gawp at us. The bike could motor if you really wanted to open it up, but we used to just cruise along like a distinguished car, but on two wheels. When I sold it I actually got a better price than I had paid, and I bought it new.
ec.jpg
ec.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 647032 times