What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#2181 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:59 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 pm
Dick wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 pm
Went to the le mans 24 hour truck race this weekend lots of classic American trucks and cars and a lot of European stuff.. then while we had some rain we called in the museum.. petrol head paradise.. I have pics but no idea how to post them since botophucket started charging and I'm a skinflint :lol: :lol: :lol:
Try imgur
Better yet, simply print out the piccies, pop copies into envelopes and post these to each forum member individually. Problem solved! :moon:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

carlmeyer

#2182 Post by carlmeyer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 am

Saw a Volkswagen Bus Type 2 yesterday! Felt like I had to jump in my DeLorean and hit 88!

Dick

#2183 Post by Dick » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Was it driven by a Libyan terrorist....

JPB

#2184 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:05 am

Rich, I like the Prof's workshop/house in that film, he has almost as many old clocks as I do. :oops:

Meanwhile, I was overtaken on the M6 Northbound, coming home from a quick parts scavanging mission in the Hiace yesterday afternoon, by a convoy (three is a convoy, right?) of 2CVs in matching "blood & custard" livery. Note to self: don't ever buy Diesel at Sainsbury's again, my usual AsDa veggie fuel (£98p per litre..) wouldn't have caused the van to be so damned slow up that very slight incline and it's back to normal levels of performance since I stopped at a large local branch of the well known supermarket, bought eight three litre cans of veg fuel, poured them into the tank and let it idle for a few seconds to get the good stuff through the pump!
:x
The old fashioned N/A Diesel engine under Yoda's front seat smokes like a burning pile of tyres when there's forecourt fuel in there, so the folk in the Citroens would have enjoyed a lovely black cloud around their lungs as they passed.. Sorry people, it really, genuinely doesn't usually do that and nor would it normally have flagged on some poxy hill.
:oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#2185 Post by gazza82 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm

Followed a deep red E-Type V12 today .. travelling west on A40 near Uxbridge/Denham junction. :mrgreen: Top down (it wasn't raining earlier!)

Must have been owned by Lucifer at some point given the "666" in the registration! :o If the owner is on here, no offence meant .. the car's gorgeous!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#2186 Post by Dick » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Spotted 2 very tidy vw campers Friday.. drivers looked a bit suspicious but not like terrorists :D

GHT

#2187 Post by GHT » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:25 pm

Austin 16 & friends 013.JPG
Austin 16 & friends 013.JPG (176.55 KiB) Viewed 7817 times
Out and about today, I came across just about the most amazing piece of motoring history, just incredible. I was in the market town of Ringwood where, outside a small auction house, a very elderly gent and a lady, turned out to be his daughter, were loading some small pieces of furniture into a car. The car was an Austin 16, a car that was made well over 70 years ago. The elderly fellow was a tad slow, but he was still compos mentis. He had white flowing hair and reminded me of William Hartnell, the first Doctor Who. The old fellow told me that he had owned the car all his life, and it was still his daily drive, although I think that his daughter did all the driving these days. Shame I didn't get him in the photo, but I did get his tired, worn out, but completely unrestored car. I love it.

Paul240480

#2188 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:32 am

:o Wow, what a great ‘spot’ :thumbs:

JPB

#2189 Post by JPB » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:14 am

Paul240480 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:32 am
Yes, this ^^^^! Are you sure that the chap wasn't actually Dr Who? That would explain how he keeps the old thing running, the odd trip back through time in his police box to have the car attended to by a man in a store coat, pencil behind an ear and never seen without a tie, even when he's on his back under a vehicle.

GHT, good to see that you're still around and that the rumours of your demise had been somewhat exagerated ;) . The place just hasn't had the same atmosphere without your straight talking, no holds barred view of the old car world. The Austin alone would have made my day, the fact that you found it adds value! That bloke's relationship with his car is surely the ultimate example of Practical Classic-ing. Well done that man for not replacing that which clearly isn't broken, the ultimate eco friendly motoring choice as most people would probably have owned at least twenty cars during the same number of years. I hope that the owner never allows the car to be restored as originality like that is something that many folk would give their last remaining teeth for.. And a limb or three.

I didn't even realise that the car was green until I looked it up on the government website! :lol:

:)
J

GHT

#2190 Post by GHT » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:43 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:14 am
Paul240480 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:32 am
Yes, this ^^^^! Are you sure that the chap wasn't actually Dr Who? That would explain how he keeps the old thing running, the odd trip back through time in his police box to have the car attended to by a man in a store coat, pencil behind an ear and never seen without a tie, even when he's on his back under a vehicle.

GHT, good to see that you're still around and that the rumours of your demise had been somewhat exagerated ;) . The place just hasn't had the same atmosphere without your straight talking, no holds barred view of the old car world.
Now there's a compliment. Old I may be but the marbles are still in place. My computer went down and as I'm an ignoramus in such things I'm at the mercy of gizmo technicians. One came out with more gibberish than a politician and another did one of those sharp intakes of breath, so that it made a noise through his teeth. Both were asking silly money to repair or replace. The computer isn't something that I use, so it sat on my desk collecting dust until last week when my Godson called by. He opened the back, took a couple of parts out that looked like printer ink cartridges, replaced them and it fired up. That saved me the best part of two hundred quid.

Something similar happened when my garage door collapsed, it's an up and over design. The young fellow that came out sucked in air between his teeth, (why do the do that?) told me that the garage was built before we went decimal and that the imperial bolts were redundant. £800 for a new garage door and fitting please. I took the sheared bolt along to one of those Screwfix places, the chap went to a box, fiddled about with a bit of trial and error, found a metric to fit, gave me a handful of nuts and bolts, pro bono. (That's Latin for free.) Old I may be, stupid, well that's debatable, but I take heart from a computer scientist who said: "Artificial intelligence is no match for human stupidity.

John, can you give me a link to that website that you spoke of please.