breakdown truck

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
JPB

Re: breakdown truck

#2831 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

Ooh! TS, now there's a rare beast. Nice find. :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2832 Post by Dick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:49 pm

I think it's an auto.... ;)

JPB

#2833 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:27 pm

:shock: I so would mate, but I have to sell the tiny Mitsubishi before I can have any more toys with engines! It's not so much the quantity of cars, but that I had sort of promised my amazingly supportive next door neighbour - currently lumbered with one of my working, complete motors on her drive - that I'd try to cut down on my habit. Pffft! I can't take my savings with me when the time comes so my logic revolves around the fact that I should piss it up the wall invest what I can now while I'm still sufficiently mobile to enjoy my toys.
:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2834 Post by Dick » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Dick

#2835 Post by Dick » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

JPB

#2836 Post by JPB » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 am

I've only ever seen the original, kitten-based Cypher, which was on a 1998 Land's End to John o' Groats run that I did in a Rebel along with several dozen other Reliants and their owners to celebrate the ROC's 40th anniversary. That was a very nice wee car, beautifully proportioned and light, so the 850cc Reliant engine seemed suited to it, but surely that's a FWD Lada engine arrangement in the prototype in the link? Or am I looking at it the wrong way up? Hang on and I'll put my eyes in upside down & see if that helps..

:D
J

Atodini

#2837 Post by Atodini » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 pm

The car in the ad is the final Cipher built, and was Samara powered. This addressed the original problem that the car was deemed unsuitable for production for, the complete lack of power....

Although Kittens are nippy little cars the Cipher was not being significantly heavier. The Ciphers were built on Kitten chassis but the internal steelwork increased the weight substantially.

Hence Reliant went with the oddly proportioned Scimitar SS1 as their small sports car. Brilliant to drive though, in fact IMHO better than an MX5, but not much and the MX5 overall is a nicer package and much prettier to look at.

http://www.stevens-cipher.com/ will tell you a lot more.

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

Dick

#2838 Post by Dick » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 pm

JPB

#2839 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:02 am

I don't have the best track record when it comes to owning plastic minis! That said, the wonga I (eventually) got from the Venezuelan authorities did pay for the van, so there may be a lesson there somewhere. Either way, it's of academic importance as manual transmission is about as much use for me as breasts on a fish.

Objectively though, I like the Pimlico as a way of keeping yet another old mini afloat, but someone needs to fit something less ugly in the door top department to that one oh, and it's not orange which any small, GRP-bodied motor vehicle must surely be. Yellow just doesn't come close enough!
(IMHO, though other opinions are available and the value of opinions may rise or fall depending upon market conditions, etc)..

:mrgreen:
J

Dick

#2840 Post by Dick » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pm

I love yellow.. I nearly bought a a low mileage yellow beetle convertible a while back kids were keen but wifey said no...
Meanwhile old mobile phone anyone?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 168157665/