Paint advice please

Post your technical queries / problems here!
gazza82

Re: Paint advice please

#11 Post by gazza82 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:14 am

JPB wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 am
windy399 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 am
straight cut gearbox
:drool: ! In this case, please post a video clip, ideally one with the best sound quality you can manage! :mrgreen:
This might satisfy your need for a whine! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYfgkv ... e=youtu.be

From about 1min 30 in .. :-)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Thu May 09, 2019 1:36 am

:drool:
Is it wrong to be mildly excited by that most classic of all mini noises? I believe that it is not. :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

#13 Post by alabbasi » Mon May 13, 2019 12:51 pm

I'd recommend epoxy over etch. It sets up like rock and will be resistant to stone chips. You should probably go with a rubberized undercoat underneath the car for added protection.

TriumphRestorerUK

#14 Post by TriumphRestorerUK » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I am newcomer to classic car restoration and recently purchased a Triumph Stag to keep me busy in retirement. I've been looking at the car underseals online is Waxoyl or Dinitrol the best solution? I've found these DIY rustproofing kits https://www.tiltrak.com/product-categor ... fing-kits/ that include cavity wax. My other question is are these rustproofing kit applications easy to apply? I only have a set of ramps and a garage workshop that can accommodate 2 x cars

Luxobarge

#15 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:23 am

TriumphRestorerUK wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 pm
I am newcomer to classic car restoration and recently purchased a Triumph Stag to keep me busy in retirement. I've been looking at the car underseals online is Waxoyl or Dinitrol the best solution? I've found these DIY rustproofing kits https://www.tiltrak.com/product-categor ... fing-kits/ that include cavity wax. My other question is are these rustproofing kit applications easy to apply? I only have a set of ramps and a garage workshop that can accommodate 2 x cars
Welcome to the forum!

Waxoyle is fairly old-fashioned now, and while it will do the job there are better products out there. Personally I'm a fan of Dinitrol, spray it on with a paraffin gun and a compressor. Don't use the thick black bituminous shutz type stuff, it doesn't work and is a complete pain every time you get under the car - you'll get filthy And will curse roundly if you ever need to get it off again to do repairs.

No doubt John will be on later and tell you about the joys of Shell Ensis V too.......
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:30 am

:oops: :lol: Yep, it's good stuff; like Waxoyl but slightly runnier when applying to external surfaces yet less runny (apologies for the technical language ;) ) under warm weather conditions so less of a hazard for other road users than Finnegans' famously (overhyped :scared: ) Waxy/oily product - though that is far better than applying nothing.

Recently though, following my use of a different product :shock: to protect the forks of an ancient motorcycle belonging to a neighbour, I have realised that Ensis isn't the only genuinely good, easy to apply rust protection product available these days.. The product of which I speak is better known among the motorcycling community than among car folk, but it's been used under the tiny Mitsubishi that I bought, in rust free, original, one owner condition from Japan back in the winter of 2017/2018, and that amazing little car is still as rust free now in spite of its having been used to get from home to Edinburgh through one of the snowiest spells of weather that the A697 had seen in years. The stuff to which I refer is XCP's excellent "Rust Blocker". I've even used this on a small shovel that lives outside in the back garden and that also remains clean and has no new rust since treatment. It comes in aerosol tins, trigger spray bottles and bulk cans, it smells a lot like Waxoyl yet it genuinely does creep to cover any areas under the Pajero-Mini where the floors, chassis rails or suspension & steering parts have been blasted by nasty wintry stuff flying up from the roads.
So good is the protection (and the ability to halt existing surface corrosion in its tracks) that it provides for my Pajero's vulnerable, 22 year old Japanese bodywork, that I've taken to spraying the stuff inside the car's rear valance, sills and door bottoms too. That rear valance is especially vulnerable as, although essentially a box section, it has a flat closing plate that connects its inner edge to the car's rear floor and inner rear wheelarches, but this plate has ventilation holes at either end which are known to allow debris to enter the box section above its lowest edge, this then rusts away and the owners' club that caters for that car tells me that mine is unique in never having rotted through in that area, which as its first UK owner I can only assume is entirely a result of my liberal sploshing around of the XCP stuff, available from welding supplies merchants across the land at a very fair £12 average per aerosol can, my preferred way to apply it since coverage is marvellous and a little really does go a very long way, although admittedly the Pajero-Mini is only the size of an actual (BMC, not BMW) mini, so not the hardest thing to keep on top of...
Dinitrol (and Bilt-Hamber) are very much contenders too though, and it's these brands that the rustproofing pros usually offer since the names are generally better known than the XCP and my favourite Shell product, fantastically good though that is.

Please may we see piccies of the Stag, I love these and cannot be the only member who feels that way about Triumph's brilliant V8 powered grand tourer! :drool: :drool: :drool:
Last edited by JPB on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#17 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:42 am

Oh yes, forgot to mention, piccies and story of the Stag please, although best to start a new thread for that if you would.

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

gazza82

#18 Post by gazza82 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 am

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 pm

That's the stuff, and Edd China approves so it must be good! ;)
J

gazza82

#20 Post by gazza82 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am

Plenty of sources in UK too .. Frosts, etc.

I've used some of the Bilt-Hamber products but not in earnest yet. I used the Hydrate-80 on a small patch on my old Alfa 156. It worked really well.

I've also used the Deox-C on some parts to good effect .. I soaked a couple of old MG Midget rear brake backplates in a bowl of that for a few days .. and was very pleased with the results .. (except it showed up the myriad of tiny rust holes!! These are now plugged with metal putty which is very mouldable!).