3xpendables Garage Project.

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
3xpendable

3xpendables Garage Project.

#1 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm

I don' have a classic car project at the moment but I've been busy with my garage project and I'm sure you'd all like to see. Last summer was crazy with me buying my first house and becoming a father but I've always dreamed of my own garage so spent the last 7 months on and off getting it finished. The house I bought (I live in the USA now don't forget) had an attached 2 car garage, 20 x 20. This is what I started with:

First job was to insulate the walls and add drywall:

Painting finished:

Note how poor the lighting is in there.

Here is the finished result! I added 4 strips of LED lights, giving a combined illumination of 28,400 lumens (71 lumens per sq ft) Have insulated the roof and added a heater. The left bay is primarily for my wifes car (she wasn't fussed about keeping it in there but I haven't finished paying for it yet so like to keep it inside, at least in the winter!), the right bay is my karting workshop.

Still some tidying to do but most of the way there. I also made my own Tag Heuer replica clock and saved $600

The first proper project in there will be restoration of my very first go kart. I did consider buying an MGB but they are silly money out here for the spec I want. So first priority is a Ford Mustang. Once that's bought and paid for I am strongly considering buying a MK3 Capri from Europe and building a LHD Brooklands Replica.

Hope you are all well!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

alabbasi

Re: 3xpendables Garage Project.

#2 Post by alabbasi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Insulated door, garage heater. It's coming nicely. I'm not sure what part of the US you live but you'll out grow that space pretty soon.

3xpendable

#3 Post by 3xpendable » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Thank you! I live in the Midwest and yes this already has planned to be our 'starter home' with an upgrade in 5 years or so ;)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 am

3xpendable wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:46 pm
I've been busy with my garage project and I'm sure you'd all like to see..
Too right we would! I reckon that's an excellent space, sure & you'll fill it with something car-shaped in the not too distant future.
Keep up the good work.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#5 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:41 am

I'm always in envy of our US colleagues .. the garages are so much bigger and usually attached to the home so warmer, better powered, etc. :mrgreen:

I rented a house in Breckenridge, CO a few years back (only a week, and in summer!) and there you could drive down to the garage on your ski-doo, open the door remotely and slide straight in! :lol: And the garage was cavernous!! Easily get three smaller British classic cars in and room to spare.

Modern UK houses have garages for motorbikes .. I've yet to see one that can get a modern in and allow you to get out of the doors! And don't get me started on people that have a garage, fill it with carp and then moan about scrapping the ice off the windscreen this time of year .. I have absolutely no sympathy! :x Around here most have converted them to an extra room :cry:

Having said that I am a bit better off with a double garage, with sufficient power (now!) and a separate car port. When we re-carpetted a couple of bedrooms the old carpet was relaid in the garage so I don't have to lie on cold hard concrete .. gets a bit damp under the wheels during the winter ... but seems to dry out fairly quickly! So both moderns are under cover (and away from the detritus dropped from the trees, etc)

Just I have so much "stuff" at the moment for my impending classic rebuild (except the classic!) it is a bit full!! ;)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

3xpendable

#6 Post by 3xpendable » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 am
Too right we would! I reckon that's an excellent space, sure & you'll fill it with something car-shaped in the not too distant future.
Keep up the good work.
:thumbs:
Thanks! By US standards it's a little cramped but I'm spoilt by UK standards. Eventually I want to get a 3 car garage that's ideally separate from the 2 car attached to a house but that can wait. As I say my first priority is getting a new Ford Mustang then I'll be getting a project. Most likely a Mk3 Capri from Europe or if a nice MK1 turns up here, it will be a Perana replica project.

gazza82 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:41 am
I'm always in envy of our US colleagues .. the garages are so much bigger and usually attached to the home so warmer, better powered, etc. :mrgreen:

I rented a house in Breckenridge, CO a few years back (only a week, and in summer!) and there you could drive down to the garage on your ski-doo, open the door remotely and slide straight in! :lol: And the garage was cavernous!! Easily get three smaller British classic cars in and room to spare.

Modern UK houses have garages for motorbikes .. I've yet to see one that can get a modern in and allow you to get out of the doors! And don't get me started on people that have a garage, fill it with carp and then moan about scrapping the ice off the windscreen this time of year .. I have absolutely no sympathy! :x Around here most have converted them to an extra room :cry:

Having said that I am a bit better off with a double garage, with sufficient power (now!) and a separate car port. When we re-carpetted a couple of bedrooms the old carpet was relaid in the garage so I don't have to lie on cold hard concrete .. gets a bit damp under the wheels during the winter ... but seems to dry out fairly quickly! So both moderns are under cover (and away from the detritus dropped from the trees, etc)

Just I have so much "stuff" at the moment for my impending classic rebuild (except the classic!) it is a bit full!! ;)
I hear ya, I used to detest people turning a garage into another bedroom! I want to do something with the floor at some point but the option I prefer is about $1000 so cannot justify it right now
2013 Dodge Durango R/T

alabbasi

#7 Post by alabbasi » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:22 pm

You can't fit a 2 and 4 post lift in a 3 car garage. Start planning for a 50x40 steel building with double doors and 12 foot ceilings. Do it now so you don't waste money stepping up :)
shop.jpg
shop.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 27060 times