Glasses..

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Glasses..

#1 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:07 pm

As I've gotten to the age where my eyes are getting a bit weak I've had to buy spectacles... I paid €500 for the ones I have now, but I've seen the publicity for this company and wondered if you gents have used them..
https://www.selectspecs.com/cheap-glasses/

Mitsuru

Re: Glasses..

#2 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:29 am

I used to use Tesco's in house opticians but now they have been taken over by vision express.
So I will be looking at online stores for buying the specs after having an eye test.
Also if you like your current or old glasses you could get them re lensed at a cheap price.
So keep us informed thanks
FIVE HUNDRED QUID FOR A SET OF SPECS!!!! What are they made of platinum?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

GHT

#3 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:59 am

Mitsuru wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:29 am
FIVE HUNDRED QUID FOR A SET OF SPECS!!!! What are they made of platinum?
£500? They saw you coming.

GHT

#4 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Taking the mickey wasn't really helpful,it was just a reaction to a ridiculous price for a pair of specs. The reason for that price is, good old fashioned avarice. What they are doing is pitching a price that's just attainable to the gullible. It's not just spectacles, take trainers for example, how much would you pay for this pair?
trainers.jpg
trainers.jpg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 11050 times
They look like they are clapped out, you could probably get a better pair in Asda for a tenner. They cost, hold your breath, £1075:00 that's not ten pound seventy five, that's a grand plus seventy five. Check the website here. So who would pay that? The gullible that's who. You would be much better advised to go to another supermarket, our local Morrisons sell reading glasses for a price between ten & twenty pounds. I f you need specs for shortsightedness, meaning that you need to wear them all the time, you can always have an old pair of your frames with a new prescription lens. I'm of an age to need reading glasses, being a lover of vintage I buy old spectacle frames and have them fitted with my prescription. Total cost, about £100. https://www.deadmensspex.com/

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 pm

I go to Specsavers for mine, I get two pairs for under £100, a full size lens and a half pair that I can look over when driving and look down to read the instruments and satnav. I think Rich's problem is that you don't have the market competition in France that has driven down prices in the UK. If Rich's problem is just presbyopia caused by advancing years (like me!) the cheap operators are probably ok, but if you need a more complicated prescription then perhaps less so.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm

GHT wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:24 pm
It's not just spectacles, take trainers for example, how much would you pay for this pair?
trainers.jpg
Bah, that's nothing, cheap throwaway rubbish. THIS is what you'd call expensive for a pair of trainers:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/w ... tom-bicion

£2.7 million anyone? :shock:

It's OK though, because apparently "Proceeds from the sale will be donated to Soles4Souls - a non-profit organisation which aims to combat poverty through the collection and distribution of clothing." :roll:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

GHT

#7 Post by GHT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm

faint.jpg
faint.jpg (10.53 KiB) Viewed 11031 times

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 am

The £19.99 counterfeit version will soon be on eBay and that'll teach the greedy bastridges a lesson. ;)

Seriously though; the shoes are chuffin' hideous! (or is everyone apart from me now wearing such weird looking leisure footwear and is it actually my classic suede boots that are unacceptable in civilised company)? For the price of a massive house, a selection of decent old motors, an instant collection of high end watches and a partridge in a bloody pear tree, I would want the shoes to look as though they were really worth that sort of dosh.

I got my specs from a local, independent optician for £140 and that was for one clear pair and one tinted pair for driving, these being a single vision prescription with a bit of (slight) astigmatism correction built in - though why crucifixion scars are curable with eye wear is beyond me - and that was as recently as May 2003.. Oh wait, that's too long between appointments isn't it? Rich, thanks for the timely reminder of my need to get new specs. Please tell me that with an updated prescription, I'll still find Maxis - and other fine cars from the BLMC stable - as lovely to look at as they are now. I fear that I may yet have to start agreeing with GHT about what constitutes beauty in a motor vehicle.
:o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 am

glasses over here are far too expensive, no competition & some medical insurance covers the cost. mine were bifocals/progressives? whatever you call them.. all i know is they are never clean no matter how much i wipe them in whatever i try & clean them with or i can never find them.. sometimes i wonder if they have eloped with my car/truck keys.. ill wait until i get a new prescription & pop over to blighty for a set :idea:
john, i dont think you have to worry about losing your passion for maxis & micras.. your fine taste in automobiles is genetic.. & if you do find yourself turning into a short sighted grumpy old sod, you can always try beergoggles :lol: :scared:

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:41 am

:lol: Oi, Less of the old! :cry: You're right about my extraordinarily good taste in fine automobiles being in the genes though. The old man had eight Maxis, three different Datsuns when they were still Datsuns and I've already owned a couple of Maxis and some odd Japanese stuff. Being Northern, my ethnic background makes the grumpiness inevitable. :twisted:
Saying that; where is the forum's original grumpy northerner?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: