Looking to have a fuel tank made...

Post details on wanted items here. Remember to indicate your location if it's not in your profile. Please - don't post to "bump" your (or anyone else's) thread, gratuitous bumps and unrelated posts will be deleted.
Zelandeth

Looking to have a fuel tank made...

#1 Post by Zelandeth » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:38 pm

This is beyond redemption really...

...So I need a new one.

They are made of pure unobtanium, so will need to have one made up. It's essentially a 20 litre (well, four gallon probably) fuel can with a filler neck welded on top and a hole in the side for the (missing) gauge sender.

I've been struggling to find anywhere locally interested in talking to me about it. I've had one quote back - £850...I get the impression that it's a case of they don't want the job. Surely it's not a huge amount of work if you have proper metal folding and welding kit on hand.

I was in my head expecting a pricetag of £2-300 (for no particular reason) for the tank...if that's nonsense please tell me.

If I can't get one I suspect I'll be needing to make something myself...that should be a nice simple job.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model 70. 85 Sinclair C5. 90 Mercedes 208D AutoTrail Navajo. 93 Lada Riva 1.5i Estate. 96 Citroen Xantia Activa.

suffolkpete

Re: Looking to have a fuel tank made...

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Fuel tanks do seem to be expensive, a member of my local club was quoted £400 for a tank for a Reliant Ant, although £850 does seem to be taking the p***
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Zelandeth

#3 Post by Zelandeth » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm

In their defence, the company are usually in the business of making racing and aero grade stuff, so I was expecting them to be expensive...

...Less so having visited their site twice, spending nearly half an hour sitting in reception on both occasions and failing to get anyone's attention. Despite there being people regularly walking right past the door to the shop floor and making eye contact on several times. That door was locked, so sticking my head through to try to raise someone wasn't going to happen.

Phoning them just made the phone at the unmanned reception desk ring.

Suffice to say even before I got the quote I wasn't hugely enthusiastic about giving them my business anyway! However I'm still somewhat playing the "I moved 350 miles a couple of years ago so haven't a clue who to speak to down here..." game so have been struggling to find companies who will speak to me.

I've in the last few days been pointed towards Northampton Auto Radiators who apparently also do stuff like this, and Fusion Fabrication in Oxford. Have sent an email to both of those, so we'll see if I get anything back.
Current fleet: 73 AC Model 70. 85 Sinclair C5. 90 Mercedes 208D AutoTrail Navajo. 93 Lada Riva 1.5i Estate. 96 Citroen Xantia Activa.

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Zelandeth wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm
If I can't get one I suspect I'll be needing to make something myself...that should be a nice simple job.
Please do this! Apart from the inevitable cost saving, a DIY job would make a most useful & informative post. :thumbs:
John, Operating knackered old sheds as daily transport since 1981. :|

Zelandeth

#5 Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:06 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 pm
Zelandeth wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:39 pm
Please do this! Apart from the inevitable cost saving, a DIY job would make a most useful & informative post. :thumbs:
To be fair I'd probably just start with a standard Jerry can and adapt it. Wouldn't be too much work to add a dip tube and the flange for the gauge sender really. The original tank had the outlet at the bottom, but I prefer the idea of it drawing from the top as it will make access to inspect the pipework easier.

I'm not too worried about the filler neck as access should be fine anyhow, only mod to the filler probably would be drilling a small vent hole in the cap.

Given the relatively low cost of a new can compared to any new tank, I'm tempted to give it a try anyhow...

The only reason my current can doesn't fit is the handle gets in the way.

It goes without saying that I'd not even consider welding to one that had been used to store fuel - would be a brand new one only!

Edit: I seem to have forgotten to include this image in the original post to show to quite what extent the original tank looks like a glorified fuel can.

If you discount the handle the dimensions are almost identical.

Zelandeth

#6 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Just to close this off...

Following a recommendation from the Microcar World group on Facebook (a platform that I tend to try to avoid unless absolutely necessary) I approached a company by the name of Fusion Fabrications who unlike everyone I had previously contacted, almost immediately came back with a "yep, we should be able to do that" and gave me what seemed to me to be a perfectly reasonable quote.

Few weeks down the line, I had a nice newly made replica fuel tank in aluminium ready to be fitted.

I didn't actually spot it at the time, but they even reproduced the reinforcing ribs in the top of the tank. Cost was £230 all in.

Would definitely recommend them to anyone who needs stuff made up, I'll be going back to them for an exhaust for the van in the near future. Both of the folks there I spoke to seemed to be proper car enthusiasts which is always a good start.