What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#871 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm surprised that anyone would find it cost effective to make a cut & shut 240! You'd find yourself needing many more discs than you'd need to cut through an average car and these would probably eat away at any potential profit. :lol:

Mmm, lovely, a Reliant Rialto with dodgy brakes :? ... :idea: Would be a surprisingly viable source of some profit since the brakes on these are so easy to fettle. S'pose I could ask the seller to post it? :P
I like these tiny Japanese 4x4s, there are a couple of the more commonly found automatic version of that on sale just now in the stock of a local importer, I could be tempted but the cab is just too small. Fun though, think Haflinger but without the rarity value and easier for parts.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#873 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 am

Nice cruiser. It's unusual to see one of those without at least some wee bits of welding having been required, unless of course they were wise and did them before the MOT tester picked on the rusty bits? The general condition says it's ok though, but I'd always go for a swb 4x4 unless it was a full size Pajero, in which case the LWB version is almost as good to drive slowly through mud as the shorty, breakover angles excepted as would be the case for any lwb.

That Micra looks like a right pile! "Time warp" indeed? At least the description mentions the test failure and the welding required might be fairly minor, but if it's a K10 you're looking for, there's a lovely example on eBay just now that has no rot, has been slightly and tastefully modified with some little cosmetic touches and if I wanted a K10 at this time, it would be my choice, here 'tis: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-micra ... 0010.m2109
:drool:
Sweet wee thing, innit.

I like that the Honda has all of the period extras including a (presumed antipodean and/or JDM market only?) super rare air conditioning system. The engines in those are somewhat weak compared to the one found in the manual models though, and the 2 (yes, two, seriously..) speed Hondamatic is better than you might expect, but still nowhere near as good as the later Hondamatics with three, eventually four gears. But as a hobby car and a very tidy wee Japanese rarity, that Civic is desirable, just not to me but hey, good luck to the seller, the car richly deserves to be cherished and preserved, even at that slightly optimistic price!
Is it worth the money? Probably not but on the other hand, find me someone who can restore a rusty UK example for less than the asking price of this one.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#875 Post by JPB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 am

Not the hardest thing in the world to do, but chances are that the car's for sale as a result of a local mechanic, probably more used to building A series Citroen motors, giving the owner a silly estimate for some work that would be easy for anyone with the factory manual to do at home. People are scared of rotaries for the same reason they're scared of Marmite, both phobias are irrational and unnecessary.
Buy the Bentley and smoke around in that 'til the fuel runs out, then flog it on at a massive loss and call it experience! ;)

I found something interesting a while back: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-8-Sal ... 1438.l2649 and have it on my spotcher with thoughts of doing some minor fettling and selling on, but someone else should really dive in as the car deserves to be oily ragged and preserved as a '40s motor that could probably be used regularly without harming its value in the way that sticking a Reliant engine in there may do..
:oops:
J

rich.

#876 Post by rich. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:08 am

i have no fear of marmite.. i just wont eat it as its the devils own turds.. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: meanwhile the mini van looks interesting but 1500 yoyos?? i sold 2 for £50 quid 18 years ago :cry: & i still have a soft spot for the commercial minis..
i quite liked the proto thing, it comes with its own scaffolding ;) ive seen rx8s with hot start problems much cheaper in the uk but finding someone to rebuild one is going to be interesting...i suppose i could always ship it back to blighty.

megadethmaniac

#877 Post by megadethmaniac » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 pm

mmmmmmm that bentley. no idea of what the ad says but for that price it looks good. Here in the Uk the only cars in that price bracket seem far higher mileage or age If all else fails weigh it in it should amount to a fair few tons

GHT

#878 Post by GHT » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 am
I found something interesting a while back: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-8-Sal ... 1438.l2649 and have it on my spotcher with thoughts of doing some minor fettling and selling on, but someone else should really dive in as the car deserves to be oily ragged and preserved as a '40s motor that could probably be used regularly without harming its value in the way that sticking a Reliant engine in there may do:oops:
That's a lovely Austin, but if you scroll down you will see a beautiful Morris 8. I showed it to my Missus. NO! Alright, alright, she's suffering from car rage at the moment, well not exactly car rage, more highway rage. Her Golf gave an almighty bang today, we managed to get it to our regular garage. Here's the problem:
Coil spring 001.JPG
Coil spring 001.JPG (55.1 KiB) Viewed 2708 times
Pot hole damage. It's the offside coil spring that's snapped. Mostly you can avoid pot holes but when they are rain filled, what chance have you got?

Luxobarge

#879 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:34 am

That looks like it's been cracked for some time, and the pot hole finished it off. That's current VW build quality for you.....
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

suffolkpete

#880 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:34 am

I don't think it's just VW. The current trend seems to be to use thinner springs and to compress them to a far greater extent. I seem to be always replacing them on the family's moderns, only to find that the Sykes-Pickavant spring compressors I've owned for years and used successfully on the classics can't compress them sufficiently.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6