What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#861 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 pm

i would buy that fiat, but i have the same problem as when i try to buy a mazda, people won't accept my magic beans :lol:
meanwhile
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223209612914
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202482933486
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362472507691
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JPB

#863 Post by JPB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

Should the blade on that snow plough not sit a little lower? :? I'd just use a shovel and pay someone to do the job, which beats paying the guts of 30 grand for a pretty much useless piece of equipment. ;)

Liking the R25, a very much under rated motor in my view as they're mostly not that badly off for rust and are simple enough to be reliable. So where did they all go then?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#864 Post by rich. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 am

JPB wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

Liking the R25, a very much under rated motor in my view as they're mostly not that badly off for rust and are simple enough to be reliable. So where did they all go then?
where did all the old renaults go? as the proud owner of a clio & mascott i can safely say they all probably died horrible painful deaths :evil:
;)

GHT

#865 Post by GHT » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:18 am

rich. wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:57 am
where did all the old renaults go?
Sadly, he popped off a while back.
rene.jpg
rene.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 2326 times

JPB

#867 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am

Yes, I saw that taxi, but the fact that the odometer hasn't worked since the beginning of its MOT history does concern me somewhat, plus it has a steel body and isn't even vaguely Reliant related. Looks very tidy though, someone will undoubtedly snap it up before I do something silly. Again. :lol:

The bus has a certain charm but isn't it a little expensive for something with paintwork that needs immediate attention and suspension that appears to be broken? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#869 Post by JPB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:37 pm

I know that I've expressed a preference for a taxi with a Toyota engine, but that's a little extreme! :lol: Would I have it? Hell yeah, but with the automatic transmission that came with more than 3/4 of all Hilux Surfs.
The white 240 looks good, but that green 144 looks better.. IMHO. The 144 has, assuming that the clutch cable is in good condition, one of the lightest ever clutch pedal actions of any car, so would be manageable for me unless it's one of the examples whose rusted inner cable hasn't been replaced yet, in which case many folk just assume that the feel of the pedal is normally that heavy and the car soldiers on for many more years without ever being repaired. It would be just my luck to buy a nice 140 series like that one (and Mr Hedley is known for being an honest, decent trader who doesn't tell porkies about the condition of his stock) only to find that the DVLA has suddenly replaced my motorcycle entitlement - that they missed at my last renewal - but that they also caught up with my manual entitlement for cars, which was showing when it shouldn't have been between 2012 and now! :oops:

I think that Volvo is a pretty one and not too dear compared to values of either its predecessor, the 120, or its successor the 240, so someone should be happy to live with that and gradually attend to its few areas that need some cosmetic work. Even my roughest ever 140, a red 144GLE, was solid enough not to require any structural welding so if ever there were a car that can be used and gradually fettled to make perfect, that has to be it.
J

rich.

#870 Post by rich. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:59 am

my dad used to own a volvo 240 gle... it was a lovely car until dad got his hands on it. he bought it off a guy one night when they were both a bit pi##ed.. it was a cut & shut.. great car, he sold it & took a bedford cf tipper in px... :D
meanwhile
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163377089681
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163373475016