What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#831 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 pm
:idea: Rich, I can just imagine you darting about the French countryside in that, so how about you buy it and - when you find it nigh on impossible to register in that France, sell it cheaply to me and have it posted - it's light enough! :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sarcasm? besides i measured my letterbox & it wont fit :lol: :lol:
meanwhile here is something just to annoy you ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123413597976
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223180648832
:drool:

JPB

#832 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 am

Sarcasm, from me? :o Not in the bit about how much I like the thing, maybe a little in the idea of anyone actually trying to register something Japanese in France.. :scared:

I don't see anything annoying about that rather fine Maxi :drool: , apart from the fact that it's a post-1975 one and as such, has Hydrasag suspension but it does seem to sit pretty level, if a tad on the high side, so maybe the displacers aren't dead just yet and even though Hydrolastic ones are much better, Hydrasag bottles that are in decent order do provide almost as much comfort but with less bounce. You pays yer money and takes yer choice, as they probably say in Maxi owner circles.

K10 looks a straight enough example, why on earth are these things so cheap compared to miniMETROs? While there are undoubtedly some K10s that have rotted spectacularly, they were never as bad for rust as the good old Metro and the Datsun came with engines that are at least as good as the Metro's A series, a reliable CVT and similarly inoffensive looks. Also; the Datsun has proper suspension with springs rather than bags of antifreeze with some rubbery bits and some nitrogen in the mix just for a laugh. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#833 Post by rich. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am

micras are cheap, don't tell everyone, or ill never be able to afford one! :lol:
meanwhile
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163305011233

JPB

#834 Post by JPB » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am

Ooh! Got to love a Prelude, though it could be argued that the Triumph badged, four door alternative is (marginally) less cramped and as such, a better buy. Acclaim for me please, assuming that the driver's seat can be moved an extra four inches to the rear and six inches upwards. :mrgreen:

I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxi-metroca ... :rk:1:pf:0 which is listed as having covered a mere 170000 miles. VOSA, however, reckon that the figure is a far more likely 388000 and the seller may accept my £32.50 offer on that basis.. :D No? OK, still looking then.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#835 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm

JPB wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am
Ooh! Got to love a Prelude, though it could be argued that the Triumph badged, four door alternative is (marginally) less cramped and as such, a better buy.
I'm pretty sure that the Acclaim was a Mk II Honda Civic with a boot instead of a hatch, not a Prelude, the front of the prelude is similar in style but bigger & longer. I owned an example of the Civic in question (X-reg) and a friend had an Acclaim, and they appeared identical in every way back to beyond the B-post (except the engine I believe?).

I might be wrong, but think that's the case.

Edit: it's actually based on the Honda Ballade. However, the Honda Ballade was a sedan (i.e. booted) version of the Civic Mark 2, so I was sort of right.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#836 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:56 am

Yes, absolutely spot on, and the later shape of Ballade was also sold in the UK as a Honda and was also available as the Rover 213/216.Great wee motors, even more rust prone than an Alfasud which had been stored in a field by the sea for years. I guess that I was simply comparing one cramped but otherwise entirely worthy Honda with another and the Prelude was unique, only a few design details being shared with the Accord but in typically Japanese fashion - production engineering cost no object when you sell so many cars? - only a few parts are actually interchangeable according to Megazip's multi brand parts list for all Japanese makes & models. There is - in Holland iirc - a Civic estate that carries Triumph Acclaim badging ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/74872301@N03/6738519337 , linked rather than embedded as the photo isn't one for which I have posting permission ) for reasons best known to its Dutch owner. Maybe he's too fond of the green,maybe he's just bonkers, either way good for him, the world needs more pointless cars! Yes, that image shows an actual Civic estate which has had its Triumph badging added by means of the GIMP, or Photoshop, whatever, but I couldn't find the one that's running about in the Netherlands looking like that. Maybe I'd have taken down the images too, if I'd done that.

Meanwhile, negotiations for the TTT are looking promising as I've made an "inoffensive, but a little more needed please" offer. I'm not going to be too disappointed if the price can't be brought down to a number that reflects the cab's impulse purchase (if I do) status. :|
J

GHT

#838 Post by GHT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:30 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-GT-Proje ... 0011.m1850
Just the job for those who like to tinker, and tinker, and tinker.............

rich.

#839 Post by rich. » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:42 am

warning, contains facebook & renault 12 automatic.. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/renaul ... =feed_text