What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#801 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 am

well its like this John, i have 3 kids & my original plan was to buy them 1 sports car each while they are relatively cheap & rot free. the mazda mx5/ toyota mr2 being my preferred choices.. every time i find one wifey points out the lack of seats....& i recently followed a rx8 when i was back in blighty & thought hmmmmmm 4 seats shiny and it makes a nice noise :oops:

Atodini

#802 Post by Atodini » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:45 am

Our prodigal had an RX8, in metallic racing green, for a long time, financed by the bank of M&D...…. He loved it as did I, it really was brilliant to drive, quick, comfortable, handled and gripped well and versatile too. His was a 54 reg, just before the better "Renesis" engine. Of course he suffered the loss of compression that plagued the earlier engines and it was a pain to fix and very expensive (Bank of M&D again!). Not as horrendous on fuel as some might think, I easily got 30mpg when I drove it (but I don't have a lead foot). Prodigal rarely got more than 20.....

Problem with these though is that they can and do rust - badly, which is what put paid to his eventually. He replaced it with an Alfa 159 which he still has.

So my advice is get a post 2006 one, for the better engine and check carefully for rust (as with any Mazda). These really could "rust for Fiat"!!!

John
"I thought I was wrong once - But I was wrong"...

JPB

#803 Post by JPB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 am

rich. wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 am
its like this John, i have 3 kids & my original plan was to buy them 1 sports car each while they are relatively cheap & rot free.
:shock: I thought that all kids - although expensive - were rot free? Maybe they should be bathed in a big tub of Ensis V just to be sure. ;)
Atodini wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:45 am
...check carefully for rust (as with any Mazda). These really could "rust for Fiat"!!!
John, I'm shocked to learn that the marketroids who failed to recognise Car Magazine's journalistic irony and came up with this ad -

Image -

would actually tell fibs just because the mag's publishers paid them millions of pounds to make people buy the cars! What is the world coming to, eh? :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#804 Post by GHT » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Mazda lamps stay brighter, longer. Chances are Mazda won't rot in a salt mine, Mazda lights that is.

rich.

#805 Post by rich. » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 am

john, thought the kids were just suntanned, i will have to get an order in for some of this..
https://www.mil-specproducts.com/produc ... ND-OF-1014
comes with its bathtub... :lol:
meanwhile, some pickup trucks for you.. :scared:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Micra ... 7675.l2557
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-1000- ... 7675.l2557
:lol:

edit.. just spotted this.. :drool:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113236695642

edit again!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sherpley-got ... 0005.m1851

:drool:

JPB

#806 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 am

Oh dear! The bottom of the barrel has been scraped so hard that it's becoming porous. :lol:

But the CX and the large drum of my favourite rust protection product make up for the ruined Micra, the even more ruined Minor and the Sherpley that's far too long to get into the drop zone at my favourite local crematorium!

Actually that CX would appear to be an exceptionally straight one. :drool: :drool: :drool: Only 350ish miles from me too, but unless I store it up north with the dead cars, or get rid of the bB and the small 4x4 (not happening as both continue to function as their respective makers intended and sometimes, that's enough), I would have nowhere to store the CX, though at least getting it high enough off the floor to allow my car slaves to get underneath with that Ensis should be easy as it can levitate itself and that's not something you can say about most cars.
:D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

JPB

#808 Post by JPB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Nice. Once upon a long ago, such a device would have been equipped with a large V8 and come with the fuel thirst to match, that modern Ford engine probably endows the thing with adequate performance though, and ten from ten for the use of the HA Viva Tail ilghts! I do love a good game of "Spot the donor car.." :mrgreen:

Note that the posh versions of the HA made do with these much less interesting lamps:

Images shamelessly borrowed from a search engine.. :oops:

As you were, don't mind me.

Edit: Nice Toyota, Rich. Enough to give me quite a thrill in fact. :drool:
J

rich.

#809 Post by rich. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:52 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Edit: Nice Toyota, Rich. Enough to give me quite a thrill in fact. :drool:
its an auto.. it would look rather nice on the drive of your country estate ;)
meanwhile....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kitcar/19265 ... 0935.m2460

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-760-GL ... _trksid=p0

JPB

#810 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:20 am

I had looked at both of the above prior to your putting them up here. I actually like that odd mini-based car :oops: , it's probably something of a Marmite object but it's odd and chances are, your neighbours won't own one, so it appeals to me and had someone not already bagged it, I would have given that some consideration, given that mini automatic engine/gearbox lumps are relatively cheap on account of everybody removing them from project cars in favour of the preferred manual. Whether I'd have fitted into the thing is something I'll never know but cheers for posting that one, your taste is clearly just as left field as mine, not that it's taken me this long to work that out.
:lol:

I like that Volvo too, its proportions are quite good for a stretched car, the fact that it's an estate is a bonus.. Why own a Volvo that can only carry one wardrobe home from the auction when you can carry two, or add a pop top and have the most distinctive camper van on the site when you go off on your hols. I'm not so fond of the way that the 740/760/940/960 handles though. The 120 through 240 all came with a perfectly acceptable live axle on coils, held in place by just the right amount of scaffold poles to endow the older cars with safe, predictable characteristics that could be entertaining without ever causing someone's death at the hint of a bend in the road. These newer, even better looking (IMHO) Volvos however, came with a different rear suspension setup that undeniably makes them more like a posher, more expensive car in terms of comfort, but they're twitchy bloody things that have a mind of their own when a corner comes out of nowhere, forcing a sudden change of direction. That's fine with a car that's short enough to hold in a sideways attitude on a single track road without wiping out the passing traffic, wildlife and cyclists, but something that long could be a handful and who knows, may be an even better way to have a near-death experience than drinking a pint of absinthe followed by a ride on the world's biggest roller coaster. I like it, but its length is roughly that of my pair of small, semi-modern Japanese daily drivers combined and besides; most furniture auctions will deliver.
;)

And on Japanese stuff that appeals, I thought about trading the Pajero MIni onwards for this exceptionally well kept thing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-MITSUBI ... SwLNpbnO3K , which has never been even a little rusty where it matters, is soaked in rust preventative measures, has been treated with respect so hasn't yet succumbed to the breed's tendency to crack its cylinder head and is generally rather a bonny car whose performance and handling will be much more conventionally good that the frankly rather scary habits the Pajero Mini exhibits when I take a liberty with it, but this train of thought soon evaporated as I took the "tiny w4nk3r" out into town to buy a newspaper earlier today and was reminded that it's actually a lovely, easy thing to drive, is comfortable in a way that very few 4x4s of such compact dimensions can manage to be and that mad noise it makes! I need to make a video some time that explains that one as it's a phenomenon which needs to be heard to be believed.
An erstwhile gaffer of mine from the shop floor days once told me that my habit of forming emotional bonds with cars was neither healthy nor productive. He may have had a point, but he has dementia these days and, when I go to the care home in which he now stays to visit him, guess what we talk about by way of finding common ground so that - for the typical hour long visit - he doesn't need to worry about remembering names and other such trivia. Yep, he's suddenly remembering the cars that he enjoyed back in the day.
Conclusion: Cars could prove to be the cure for dementia. I hope they are or I'm f***ed! :|
J