MOT exemption, good thing or no?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GHT

Re: MOT exemption, good thing or no?

#31 Post by GHT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for that John. What prompted the question was a headline that I saw on the news stand. Classic Car Weekly stated that the 'HID' bulbs that you speak of are causing MOT failures. The thought crossed my mind to buy the rag and read into it further. But across the other side of the front page was a photo of a Maxi and the caption: Austin Maxi Why Britain's family hatch has now come good. That was too much for my disposition, worst car I ever owned, and that includes the Aggro that I had previously.

suffolkpete

#32 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 pm

HID bulbs are different to LEDs. They are legal on cars with headlamp levelling, but aftermarket conversions on cars not so equipped are a failure. You can legally fit LEDs in your sidelights, tail lights and number plate lamps on your MG.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#33 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 pm

What Pete said, also note that HIDs, as is the case for LEDs, can be a test failure if they're fitted within older lamp shells as there would be no cutoff from the lens alone, rather than the wee tiny mirror inside a good old filament lamp, so in this sense both of these new forms of retina-scorching witchcraft ought really to be shoved right up their inventors' bot-bots, preferably after being dipped in pepper sauce!
:evil:

And yes, my 405 line, goldfish bowl-like Bush television set is still a better device on which to view classic, British films from the fifties and before, than the absolutely mahoosive LCD devil's lantern that sits in the corner reflecting the light coming into my lounge from the Council's recently updated street lighting devices... UPDATED TO EFFING' LED!!!
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#34 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Speaking of big tellies, I reckon a lot of terraced houses have had the two downstairs rooms knocked into one, so that you can get far enough away from the huge telly. I still have my middle wall and a small telly. I also keep my front curtains and blinds drawn, which doesn't seem to be the done thing if one has a big telly ont' wall.

I have long held the view that vanity is the world's most popular hobby and manifests itself in having to have a bigger car than your neighbours (Never put away; left on the drive so they can see it), having a (Grossly over priced) £6000 bike because one of your so called mates has just had a £5000 one or even shopping in Waitrose. I'm not knocking Waitrose (When convenient, I have been in there) but I am told, on good authority, that when they do home deliveries, some people refuse the order if it comes in a white van and not the signwritten van (Which can be quite common over Christmas, when they need more vans), as they want the neighbours to see where they shop :shock: .

I heard of a similarly sad case recently, where someone dragged a 72 inch TV box from outside their neighbours house (On bin day), to make it look as though they had a new 72" telly. My thoughts were that you'd keep a new telly to yourself, in case you got burgled and pondered how it would have been vaguely amusing, had a burglar broken into the house, on the strength of the 72" TV box, only to find a 14" B&W.

On a more serious note, I hear that car thieves are using Google Street to target cars (A good reason to keep them inside with the garage door shut) and that crooks are also fitting trackers to classic cars at shows, to find out where they are kept.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

JPB

#35 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 am

Google Street View blurs reflective registration plates but, for some technical reason involving their software's inability to recognise a non-reflective plate for what it is, plates that are non-reflective show up on Street View which highlights the older cars nicely.
Google street view cameras also see through the one way glass found in one of our local leisure centres, a fact that proved embarrassing for the council, if not so much for the posers who insist on wandering about in the nip on single sex days in the centre, hoping to let the fresh air get in about at their corners.
:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#36 Post by rich. » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:22 am