Advice on how to get Land Rover Owner forum from Bauer

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
ChrisP

Advice on how to get Land Rover Owner forum from Bauer

#1 Post by ChrisP » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 am

Hi all,

Excuse me for skipping the normal introduction courtesies.

I post regularly on the LRO.com forum (as "chrissyboy") and Bauer are going to pull the plug on the 19th December. I noticed that you guys have managed to salvage your forum and take it independent. We would appreciate it if you could give us some advice.

I'm going to post a link to this thread on the Readers Forum of LRO.

Were you able to get all the data stored on the Bauer forum? Did Bauer do a back up for you? Or did Bauer allow you access to their server to retrieve the data? (Unlikely I should imagine!)

Here is the post on LRO discussing who we can save the forum. http://forum.lro.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99058

Cheers Chris

Luxobarge

Re: Advice on how to get Land Rover Owner forum from Bauer

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am

Terry G is your man for this - PM?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

ChrisP

#3 Post by ChrisP » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am
Terry G is your man for this - PM?
Thanks Luxo.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm

has terry has been kidnapped by the electrical pixies that live in his golf? :?

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:54 pm

My recollection is that Bauer wanted to take editorial control of the forum, but the founder, Neil Campbell wasn't happy with this, so the forum was re-born under a slightly different name, Practically Classics instead of Practical Classics although I don't think any of the original material was carried over. You might have to do the same and let the Bauer version die. As Luxo suggests, Terry Green (wherever he is!) will be able to advise you.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Penguin45

#6 Post by Penguin45 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 am

Pete is absolutely correct. This forum has nothing whatsoever to do with Bauer Media or Practical Classics, Neil started it and seemingly the current staff have no interest in it. As a consequence, we bumble along enjoying Rich and JPB's banter, while not much else happens. I lost a comprehensive restoration thread on the old forum with no notice at all, so was unable to save it for posterity and even noww, it still rankles.

You need to take charge of your own destiny, save important threads now and set up your own alternative forum at the earliest opportunity. I run a Proboards one for my particular interest in cars and it ain't rocket science.

P45.