clio diesel

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: clio diesel

#111 Post by rich. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rich.

#112 Post by rich. » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 am

after 20k miles with us, i got a mate to service the clio, he found the bolts that hold the anti roll bar on were snapped.. all replaced & new oil & filters including the pollen filter, odd as there is no a/c.. also i need to change the front discs & pads as they are well worn.. i managed to get a day off & we went on a trip out with the kids.. took clio as the galaxy has two bald tyres :oops: & as it was a 2 hour trip mostly motorway the car got to do more than 40 mph! after leaving the toll in a bit of black smoke i kept the speed to about 70mph but many miles later i was up to 80 & finally had an oops moment on a down hill stretch 95
on the return trip the car seems to run much better & no black smoke either.. quite impressed with the car although the electrical pixies have killed the hazard warning switch (repaired with a tooth pick) & the engine management light is still on & shows no reason when connected to the computer...

JPB

#113 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 am

My MK3 Golf had a pollen filter without aircon, a/c or not, it's nice to draw pollen-free air into the car. Come to think of it, two of my Volvo 240s had pollen filters too, without aircon. Is this really so unusual?
But steady on there, Rich, it reads as though you're enjoying the Clio! Ya wee pervert! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#114 Post by rich. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:39 am

my mate seemed surprised by the pollen filter, he works for a garage.. enjoying the clio i hear you say? 70 mpg, a doddle to park costs next to nothing over 3 years, room for the kids & the radio even has a decent reception of radio 4... whats not to like?? i have heard that even ght is thinking of getting one :lol: :lol: :scared:

meanwhile i find this very attractive
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-R ... Sw0ehZ7i7y

rich.

#115 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 pm

hi chaps, back in the land of the clio, it will be coming up for ct (mot) soon & our glorious leader macron has decided to get all old cars off the road..any cars presented for the ct with warning lights on will fail.. ours has the check engine light on.. its always been on.. ive had it checked by a garage & have been told that there is nothing wrong, no codes displayed! i bought an obd reader & had a fiddle but no luck.. any suggestions? im thinking of stripping the dash out & removing the bulb or putting a bit of tape over it ;)
Last edited by rich. on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GHT

#116 Post by GHT » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 pm

rich. wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:39 pm
hi chaps, back in the land of the clio, it will be coming up forct (mot) soon & our glorious leader macron has decided to get all old cars off the road..any cars presented for the ct with warning lights on will fail.. ours has the check engine light on.. its always been on.. ive had it checked by a garage & have been told that there is nothing wrong, no codes displayed! i bought an obd reader & had a fiddle but no luck.. any suggestions? im thinking of stripping the dash out & removing the bulb or putting a bit of tape over it ;)
That's the best bet. Did you know that the great train robbers, back in 1963, stopped the train by covering the green light with a glove and replaced it with a torch that shone red? Have you got a spare glove?

Luxobarge

#117 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Probably not going to work - I don't know what the procedure is in France, but over here the tester is supposed to check that the light comes on with the ignition, and goes off when the engine is started - to avoid exactly that dodge.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#118 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 am

Luxobarge wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:05 pm
Probably not going to work - I don't know what the procedure is in France, but over here the tester is supposed to check that the light comes on with the ignition, and goes off when the engine is started - to avoid exactly that dodge.
Yes, good point..
:idea:
Rich, disconnect the feed from the ECU to the check engine lamp and splice a new feed into the oil pressure warning lamp supply.
:scared:

I should be ashamed of myself for even thinking it! :oops:

:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#119 Post by rich. » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 am

thanks chaps, i might take it to a garage & see what they think :oops:

gazza82

#120 Post by gazza82 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:18 pm

rich. wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 am
he found the bolts that hold the anti roll bar on were snapped..
Son was complaining about a noise when he turned his Clio around in the car park behind his flat .. and guess what .. broken anti-roll bar link .. same as yours? One on lower wishbone to a.r bar.

As for engine management light I had problems getting the Clio to extinguish using cheaper units and ended up purchasing a Peugeot/Renault specific Sealey unit .. seemed sensible as we had two Pugs and a Renault .. the Clio still pings up an intermittent lamp but I can't find out why .. something to do wit the brake light switch .. we're on the third or fourth!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck