What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#371 Post by JPB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 am

I like the idea of that "boat", but it alarms me that the vendor thinks it's suitable as a dwelling. GR9 for ploughing a lane for yourself out of the average motorway though, and of far more use in that environment where chronic instability and not being very good at floating aren't issues. There's a lad in the local classic car club who owns a proper DUKW, he persists with the damnable thing because he's a lunatic and it was cheap, but even he wouldn't attempt to float it again, mostly because his previous attempts all ended with large, expensive recovery equipment being called out to get it out of the harbour whose lifeboat slip it turned into crazy paving last time it broke down, half in and half out of the water! These days, it serves mostly as a mobile indoor swimming pool and sadly, it's pretty poor at that too since it leaks out almost as well as it leaks in!

That's a sad story about the butchered VW van, but someone must have had a bargain at the £2595 that it sold for, even complete turds that shape usually make a whole lot more than that.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#372 Post by rich. » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:16 pm

one of my old workmates had a dukw thing.. bought it from some nuns who lived on an island somewhere..they sold it whan it sprang a leak!! he now owns a stack of american trucks & cars all parked by my old school..
meanwhile, john, get your cash out from under the mattress..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152692363037? ... rmvSB=true
;)

JPB

#373 Post by JPB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm

That American camper awakens my inner Jack Kerouac and has great patina, as they say in all of the current crop of TV shows about old stuff these days.

Confused slightly by what you know about the location of my cash, I checked under every mattress in the house just in case and can confirm that the amount of wonga I currently have in the house is less than seventy seven pence and more than seventy five pence. None of it was under a mattress.

:lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#374 Post by rich. » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:24 am

JPB wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 pm
That American camper awakens my inner Jack Kerouac and has great patina, as they say in all of the current crop of TV shows about old stuff these days.

Confused slightly by what you know about the location of my cash, I checked under every mattress in the house just in case and can confirm that the amount of wonga I currently have in the house is less than seventy seven pence and more than seventy five pence. None of it was under a mattress.

its where i would hide money.. if i ever had any...

JPB

#375 Post by JPB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am

You'd hide money under my mattress? That's very strange. :lol:
J

rich.

#376 Post by rich. » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am
You'd hide money under my mattress? That's very strange. :lol:
it would be safe!! i wouldnt be able to spend it!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
meanwhile you were looking for a taxi?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162663156557? ... rmvSB=true

JPB

#378 Post by JPB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Nice old Toyota, that's the sort of thing I'd have jumped on if it had been an automatic and the year had been 2014, when I'd have managed to get that along the road without having to have a team of little helpers to shoehorn me into the car. The taxi is ok, but not quite as accessible as a car needs to be. Unless I were to fit an escalator to get me up to the driver's seat.. :lol:
J

rich.

#379 Post by rich. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 pm

did you have something like this in mind?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK30R1gsgGk

:idea:

JPB

#380 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:46 am

Yup, that should do it! :moon:
J