this a fly in the ointment! Petrol & diesel cars banned by 2040

Got something to say, but it's not classic related? Here's the place to discuss. Also includes the once ever-so-popular word association thread... (although we've had to start from scratch with it - sorry!)
rich.

Re: this a fly in the ointment! Petrol & diesel cars banned by 2040

#11 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am

suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 am
My thousandth post!!
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

suffolkpete wrote:
...the vehicle manufacturers can't agree on a standard, so you have to find a point that is compatible with your car.
When the various district councils were dissolved a few years ago, the newly reassembled county council offered free charging points for all freehold residential plots in the area. Many people turned these free things down as, like most sensible human beings, they're waiting for more hydrogen outlets to be available on filling station forecourts and may buy fuel cell cars at that time. And pigs might fly.
I, however, asked to have the charging point installed as the supply for these comes from the untimed side of the street lighting circuit and much as I like my lawnmower with a real engine, an electric mower was always going to be lighter and easier for my support worker to use. I had to find the connectors to make up a suitable adaptor for the EV charging point but it all works well now and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the council for the lovely free electricity which, if I were unreasonably tight as some folk think I am, I could also use to run a cable back into the house to supply my tumble dryer, a fan heater or three halogen heaters, obviously not all at the same time and yes, it would also be morally questionable but possibly a fair exchange for my allowing the local authority to install the socket in my garage, out of sight, where nobody can see what's connected to it. The charging point can supply up to 30 Amps, so I expect to save at least some fuel costs as a result of its presence here, if not exactly in the way that the savings were intended to be made.
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#13 Post by suffolkpete » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am

Small potatoes compared to you Rich :D
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#14 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am

suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am
:shock: Yeah Rich, you old troll, you! ;) :oops: :oops: :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#15 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:01 am

JPB wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am
suffolkpete wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am
:shock: Yeah Rich, you old troll, you! ;) :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: im full of nonsense.. :lol:

GHT

#16 Post by GHT » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:04 am

suffolkpete wrote:
My thousandth post!! Do you really think enough infrastructure will be provided for every car that needs to be parked on-street overnight?
Actually I was being facetious. Cars have the greatest immediate impact on us if fossil fuel is banned. But we are all so used to our shops being full, our internet orders being delivered next day, we don't stop to think that ships, trucks, coaches and more than half our trains run on diesel. See what happens when the logistics of the supply chain is interrupted. You won't have to worry about one of those charging meters then, we'll all be on Shanks' Pony.

Martin Evans

#18 Post by Martin Evans » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:30 pm

I shouldn't get too worried; most governments can do U Turns in a matter of hours, let alone decades. As I see it, electric vehicles would take over, as and when they become good enough. It's not something you can force.

It's all nonsense anyway, as are most so called environmental initiatives. You cannot escape the fact that moving lots of people, long distances causes pollution and requires energy. They need to cut down on the need for so much travel; if necessary by giving us all an energy ration (With allowances for some like vets). In other words, if you jet off around the world a lot, you'll need to wear an overcoat in the house. That would probably be political suicide, so it'll never happen and until the proverbial really hits the fan, we'll just get gestures, that pick at the fringes of the problem.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.