Modern 1.8 Zaffira coolant loss - any ideas I`m stumped

Post your technical queries / problems here!
megadethmaniac

Modern 1.8 Zaffira coolant loss - any ideas I`m stumped

#1 Post by megadethmaniac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:54 pm

2005 car, low miles, 82k but has a habit of getting through its coolant.

Not much 1/8- 1/4" per day, but more than I like.... They should not loose coolant at all...

Recently changed the header tank as it was a bit damp around there and now all seems ok, but coolant still disappearing... Tried rad weld ( or similar Worth?) and that slowed it down for 3-4 months but now returned. All obvious hoses appear dry as does the passenger compartment.

No signs of chg failure oil lovely and clear, fresh as it was 6 months ago when it was added (3-4k ago) although I think there is now a slight oil leak- could that be connected?

Thanks

JPB

Re: Modern 1.8 Zaffira coolant loss - any ideas I`m stumped

#2 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:12 pm

My first move would be to get the cooling system pressure tested. Check in particular the seal between the coolant gallery in the inlet manifold and the cylinder head as these have been known to leak there between an inlet branch and the coolant, which may be detectable as excess water vapour in the exhaust but may not be noticed at all in the case of a small loss.
For the time being, treat the oil leak s a separate issue to be investigated once the cooling system is sorted.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

#3 Post by gazza82 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:10 am

I would look at the radiator. My '98 Alfa suffered from this and turned out the rad was corroded behind the a/c condenser unit so couldn't be seen. When we took it out, I was surprised the bottom of the core hadn't already fallen off! Most modern rads have a life of 6-7 years. Mine had three from new ...

And rad weld just shortens their life as it clogs the fine waterways ... if it stopped it for a short period, that's probably a sign it is now due to be replaced.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:46 pm

I had a similar issue on my focus a few years ago, there was a weep when at temperature from an o ring where the heater hose joined the thermostat housing.
Are you losing water while the car is standing or just while driving?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

megadethmaniac

#5 Post by megadethmaniac » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Not sure to be honest, Mrs Car so its pretty much out when I leave in the morning and been parked up for a few hours when I`m home. However returned home early and I`ve just looked and there is a drip on the floor around the bumper. Its a bit gloopy and doesn`t smell like oil. Its where a member comes out to support the bumper. Guess what - its full of pinky orange sludge. New Rad I think. Well called Gazza