cleaner emissions

Post your technical queries / problems here!
alabbasi

Re: cleaner emissions

#11 Post by alabbasi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 am

Mitsuru wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 am
Considering the title and enquiry is about 'cleaner emissions'.

If the car is standard petrol or diesel, the surely you need to be looking at adding LPG. As in the USA they run LPG in with the diesel to give a cleaner burn & makes it more efficient. But unlike diesel powered vehicles, petrol powered vehicles can run soley on LPG.
What? Very few vehicles run LPG in the US. The difference in cost between LPG and regular unleaded does not make it worthwhile. I know because I bought a 75 Jaguar XJ12C with an LPG conversion and the first thing I did was convert it back. It took some effort to go back as I had to source a fuel rail, injectors, wiring harness, computer and fuel tanks. Why? because if I ever run out of fuel, I would like to have the option of walking off and finding the nearest gas station and coming back with a jerry can.

For anyone considering LPG in the US would be better off going with E85 as it's a cheaper option and makes more sense. Most petrol powered pickup and SUV's already run flex fuel so there is no changes required to the cars or special handling. You just pour it in the petrol tank and that's it.

Converting a diesel to LPG makes even less sense. Where are you going to drill the spark plug holes?
Mitsuru wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 am

If I remember correctly vehicles which run on LPG have greatly reduced emissions compared to that of petrol. And the efficiency depends on the kit used. Added bonus LPG is half the price of petrol. The LPG kit is also very similar to CNG and both I think are if the vehicle runs on the supposed to be exempt aren't they?
CNG is used in the US mostly by government, running buses or city fleet vehicles. Characteristics are different and while LPG can be dual fuel (LPG and petrol), I've only CNG vehicles that run only CNG. In my 17 years of living in the US, I have not seen any commercial filling stations that sell CNG.

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am

You don't need sparks to ignite LNG. The UK has a small, but growing number of LNG outlets and some of the larger hauliers - Stobart for one - have LNG capable engines on their fleets but just as is the case with LPG on petrol engined vehicles, the engine's existing fuel system isn't modified at the engine end and can switch seamlessly between the Diesel and the LNG, starting on Diesel just as an LPG engine starts on petrol then switches over. LNG installations don't change the existing injectors as the fuel regulator is fitted upstream of the rail.
I don't get how the Jaguar mentioned would have had to have original parts sourced and replaced when the LPG kit was removed, unless that car had no facility to run on petrol, but then wouldn't it have been a PITA to start?

..And I've been asked to point out :oops: that the Golf's economy numbers were accurate enough as its owner has the same habit as I do with my cars; filling at the same pump and the same time of day, calculated from brim to brim and recorded in the car's petrol book to provide a long term record. That said, the owner is a prize winning mega miler whose previous successes have included an average of 47.71mpg over a 230 mile event.. With a 1969 Arrow shape Hillman Hunter running its original 1500cc engine on an original Stromberg carb. Try as I might, my own Hunter would never get beyond the high twenties. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

#13 Post by alabbasi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:30 am
I don't get how the Jaguar mentioned would have had to have original parts sourced and replaced when the LPG kit was removed, unless that car had no facility to run on petrol, but then wouldn't it have been a PITA to start?
Yep, it was all removed when the conversion was done including the tanks, computer and everything else.

Toledo Man

#14 Post by Toledo Man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:50 am

The best place to start would be a full service, a tune-up followed by a good dose of Redex. It will restore a few of those lost horses too.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)