New Project...

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: New Project...

#31 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 pm

Look like autumn/winter is setting in now - got soaked trying to work on the old girl on Saturday so she is now sitting in her bay with a 9x9 tent canvas draped over the cab to keep the rain off. Replacement window regulators are on order - Moggie Minor units which have the added plus that the handles are secured by a screw in the end rather than the (in)famous hidden pin of the originals. Moggie window winder handles look identical to the Militant ones so it will not notice unless you look really hard.
Looking over the cab before the rain started with a friend it was decided that the best plan of action is to get some sheet steel in the appropriate thickness and just replace the rotted panels entirely rather than try to patch the existing ones. as this will then give us access tot he underlying structure and we can also treat that with rust killer too. The fact a lot of lower panels are held on with pop rivets rather than snap rivets suggests that this has been done before.

Not so good news is the tank senders are not working - either for the gauge in the cab or the gauge on the side of the tank. Possible the one on the side might be seized as it has sat a long while with only a little fuel in it - gauge is fixed at approx 1/8 tank. I just added 29 gallons of DERV over the last 2 weekends so maybe soaking in that will free the float off. Cab guage is not working at all and I suspect the sender is fubar.
A chap on the AEC forum on Facebook is breaking a Mk 1 - severely rotten cab etc. so I am in touch with him to see what I can get in relation to the spares
I need.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

RangerNeil

#32 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Roll on the spring :) :)

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

Toledo Man

#33 Post by Toledo Man » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:47 pm

An easy way to test the gauge is to earth the sender wire. If the needle goes all the way to full then the sender is the problem.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

RangerNeil

#34 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Toledo Man wrote:An easy way to test the gauge is to earth the sender wire. If the needle goes all the way to full then the sender is the problem.
Ordinarily yes - in this case though the sender is on top of the fuel tank - which is just under the load bed. Minimal room for access so, as the gauge is not reading at all - no movement at all when power is turned on - the easier thing first is to make sure there is power reaching the gauge.

Gauge on the side of the tank is a mechanical unit which, having sat for 3 years at 1/8 tank is now seized in position. Checked it Monday and it is still reading the same even though the tank is 90% full. So once the tank level drops below the hole again that can come out. Meantime I did note a diesel stain on the paint around the gauge indicating a slight weepage - due to probably a dried out seal. And the top most securing stud is sheared off which also does not help.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#35 Post by RangerNeil » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:00 am

As actual work is kind of blocked by the winter weather I am now amassing parts ready to crack on when the spring and drier (hopefully warmer weather) returns. Part of the plan to "upgrade" things is to add an Active Noise Reduction (ANR) intercom system to the cab and a Boiling Vessel (BV) to have a brew whilst driving. On a Militant the co-driver works for a living even when the vehicle is moving :)
The BV for the Militant has arrived from the USA - I opted to go for the modern variant, the RAK-15 as it has the electronic controls to cope with voltage drop etc. The dedicted power cable is due any day now. This is the device - latest gen version:

It was advertised as an RAK-15 unit but looking through the manual that came with it (new in box) it turns out to be the slightly larger capacity Model 471012. The paper thing its sitting in is a template for the carrier - I made it in paper first to verify the dimensions were OK. Everything seems OK apart from the depth of the slots for the mounting studs. The unit is sitting at the very bottom of the cut out - but I am thinking of adding a layer of rubber to the base cut down on vibration noise - there is enough of that in a Militants cab as it is so that will lift the studs up the mounting slots. The cable coming is the ones for this type with the round connector one end and what looks like two male plugs going by the sellers photos. That will make installation a lot easier. Just got to provide a supply with a 20A fuse in it. Definitely for use with the engine running only. Manual reckons it takes 20 minutes to boil 1.05 gallons - US gallons I guess - of water for hot drinks and then it will maintain that heat for some 6 hours.
The stud on the side is for an earthing strap and I need to fabricate a strap that runs horizontally across the front - standard tongue and buckle - that is fastened at each end to the side cheeks.

The other thing that has arrived is the holy grail of postwar British vehicles - the 1 gallon oil container - this lives in the locker beside the jerry can locker on the passenger side rear. Very hard to find so I'm as pleased as anything at finding one that's virtually new!

Lastly - I've heard from my friend in Australia - the A/A mounts should be on their way over in a couple of weeks - he had 4, I need one and have found buyers for the other 3. Once all the rest of the work is done I will then need to find the special short barrelled .50 cal that fits the mount!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#36 Post by RangerNeil » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:00 am

Some good news to start the new year :D
Been hunting for a replacement distribution valve for the air brakes as mine has a jammed pressure relief valve for some while. Heard from a firm called Erentek today - they say they can supply the valves new for £90 + VAT and carriage. What a great way to start the new year!! :D
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#37 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:09 am

Good news - the new air brake valve arrived today.
If the weather is OK then hopefully I can have a go at fitting it next weekend.
I say hopefully because looking at it today - there are more sealing plugs than I have hose connections!! But the valve does look to be the same if you compare the photos below. So I am hoping the existing one has some blanking units in it.

This is the new valve:

[Image

And this is the old one on the vehicle now:

Finger crossed all will be well.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

Grumpy Northener

#38 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Neil - I just hope that those fittings aren't as seized has what they appear in your pics - last time I attempted something like this (AEC coach chassis) the fitting turned but was so rusted / seized to the pipe that I ended up replacing all the pipe work / fittings as well - I initially cut the pipes back and just replaced a short section with a coupler but when it came to MOT time it failed - Although perfectly sound & air tight Mr Tester did not appreciate jointed air pipes - has an aside is your truck not MOT exempt ?
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

RangerNeil

#39 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:39 am

Yes - the old girl is MoT exempt. But I will get it checked every year as a safety thing.

The union's do look rusty - but I was told by the previous owner that they have been moved within the last 5 years and have been soaking in penetrating fluid since August last year. I'm hoping next weekend a friend will be available to give me a hand underneath with a propane torch to heat them up and try removing them. Having to replace the old AEC fittings might be problematical these days! I will also be trying to get the steering wheel off so it can be sent away for restoration as its badly cracked and the hard outer cover has worn away leaving the driver with black hands when either its damp or he sweats :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#40 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Finally the weather improves to the point I can get back over to the old girl and carry on working!! We had a dry day a few weeks ago and I managed to get the new rear valve fitted - in the process finding out that what i was told was a pressure relief valve in the body was actually an exhaust valve. So now attention turns to the foot pedal valve. This has been liberally coated in WD40 to see if it was just something sticking. If not then it will have to come out and be overhauled as possibly a diaphragm has gone.
Other works today saw the exhaust silencer removed and when it was stood on end a birds nest fell out!! :D This will go to a custom exhaust fabricator on Monday to see how much it will cost to make a copy. If that is too expensive then I need to look at getting a more modern counterpart which will mean I have to cut the flange off the existing downpipe as the original bolted to the silencer with 4 x 1/2"W bolts. As can be seen in the photo - there isn't an awful lot left of the original.

Then the steering wheel came off. This will go away for renovation/restoration and whilst that is under way I will strip out the instrument panel and try to work out why the temp gauge is acting oddly and why the fuel gauge and the horn aren't working at all. Everything else electrical seems to be OK. Hats off to the designers at AEC. Undoing the retaining bolt jacks the wheel off the steering column so removal is nice and simple. Again as can be seem - the wheel is in dire need of repair.

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469