Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
RangerNeil

Re: Going East - getting a UAZ 469 back on the road

#91 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Parts arrived from Trapper this afternoon so it was out and under time. First thing found was that the cross-member stops you getting the hand brake drum on. So out come the spanners to remove the cross-member. What is is with Russians and using different size nuts to the bolt heads?? 19mm spanner on the nut, 17mm on the head. Bolts came out easily enough given the corrosion and mud caking them. Getting the cross member off was a different story and required the application of brute force fuelled by anger.
Once it was off I fitted the shoe retainers that were missing - and then found that the brake shoes had sustained a bit more damage than I thought. but not enough to stop them working. I also found one of the return springs was missing from the anchored end of the passenger side shoe. This I will have to live with for now.
A bit of faffing - first with the adjuster and then the lever saw the drum go one - and then the red mist descended again. Is it too much to ask that the holes for the retaining screws actually line up with the threaded holes in the gearbox flange?? A LOT more faffing later the brake drum was on so I went to fit the prop - and found the biggest bolts I had were M8 whereas the bolts needed were M10! That's where things ended. Prop is temporarily bolted to the axle and the nose is propped up in one of the cross-member brackets. Did I mention the rear prop bolts need two different size spanners too?? Bolts are ordered from Namrick so as soon as they arrive I'll whip the bolts out of the rear U/J and fit it properly then refit the cross member. I am really hoping to use it for Military World this weekend so fingers crossed the bolts arrive in time.
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

JPB

#92 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:33 pm

What is is with Russians and using different size nuts to the bolt heads?
I could be making this up, but I'm 94.7% sure that someone told me that this is a good thing as it means that people who own and/or wish to maintain vehicles so equipped don't need to buy two of everything, so money can be saved by fewer, cheaper visits to the tool counter at Halfordovich's..

;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#93 Post by TerryG » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:32 am

Ford do that too. It's REALLY annoying!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Flatlander

#94 Post by Flatlander » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:14 am

JPB wrote:
I could be making this up, but I'm 94.7% sure that someone told me that this is a good thing as it means that people who own and/or wish to maintain vehicles so equipped don't need to buy two of everything, so money can be saved by fewer, cheaper visits to the tool counter at Halfordovich's..

;)
I've heard the same thing as well from one of my Ukranian friends. They also said that it was an old standard in Prussia which was adopted in the Ukraine. Never managed to find out if this was true or not though.

RangerNeil

#95 Post by RangerNeil » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Well - here's another lulu - the pitch of the threads in the holes for the nose of the prop shaft are different to virtually every other bolt on the vehicle - every one I've undone so far at least which is most.
Got the M10 bolts come today so I went to fit the prop so that I could take it down to Military World tomorrow evening. Go to screw the nose bolts in and they lock solid after about 1 thread. Remove them, remove the prop shaft and the hole threads look to be a finer pitch than a standard M10 bolt. So that plan is out of the window,
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

suffolkpete

#96 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:21 am

If you buy a standard M10 bolt, the threads are 1.5mm pitch, however a lot of manufacturers, including most French, use 1.25mm. I guess East Europeans are the same. Most suppliers stock them, but you have to ask specifically for 1.25mm pitch.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Flatlander

#97 Post by Flatlander » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 am

There are not two, but three M10 pitch sizes. As was correctly stated above, the usual pitch is 1,5mm. The other two are 1,25mm and 1,0mm. Which one is used depends on the country, and the ISO standard they use.

As I usually say, there are two kinds of threads...standard, and metric. :lol:

RangerNeil

#98 Post by RangerNeil » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Well - the correct pitch was M10x1.0 - got the new bolts delivered but before bolting the prop on I was not happy about the way the drum looked. To test things out I put the UAZ back into 2WD, started the engine, engaged 4th gear and crawled back under. The drum was not spinning smoothly but had a small oscillation to it accompanied by clunking sounds,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYw5o-k4scY

Moment after I finished filming there was a louder than usual clunk and the drum stopped spinning even though the engine was running. Closer inspection revealed the two securing screws laying on the drive, 1 intact and 1 sheared off.

So I fear that the output shaft of the gearbox has been bent when the prop parted company on the way down to W&P a few weeks ago. The question now is - can that part be easily replace or is it a new transmission required!!
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

RangerNeil

#99 Post by RangerNeil » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Delivery came from Poland today - only 2 months short of being 2 years from the date of order. :D
Last pair of doors, new style door tops for the front doors and all the necessary hardware (I hope).

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469

TerryG

#100 Post by TerryG » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am

Is that a bullet hole?!?!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.