1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: 1965 singer vogue recomission

#301 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh man, that car is just so bloody gorgeous! One small point:
Met this classic in asda
I can't see a classic in the picture. Is it hiding behind the blue taxi? :D ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#302 Post by tractorman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Much as it bugs me, I accept that any car over 20 is a classic - so a 1989/90 car must rate as one!

No, not a "What is a classic" argument, I use the definition from the tractor folk - that goes by age so some rather too modern tractors are now classic (the most modern I have driven is a 1996 "N" reg - that's new to me!!).

Nice to see the Vogue doing what it was built to do - looking good and being used - and enjoyed. As I have said many times, Rootes did make nice comfy cars and the group didn't really deserve the fate they suffered - for vehicle design (but they did for management or being "bribed" to make cars in areas with no skills in such things).

kevin

#303 Post by kevin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:28 am

Whilst not a really old car, the Rolls Royce was lovely, the owner a real enthusiast as well..I went over to ask if i could take a snap and his reply was "would you like to see the engine?"..ha, a real petrol head.
He paid £9k for it 5 years ago, uses it as his daily (retired) and gets about 12mpg.

Kev

TerryG

#304 Post by TerryG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 am

kevin wrote:"would you like to see the engine
What a daft question. Did you get under bonnet pics too?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#305 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 am

TerryG wrote:
It's good that he's an enthusiast though at 12mpg he'd need to be a wealthy one. Did he open the bonnet or did his radio tell him to go and collect the bride & groom from the airport before he had the chance? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#306 Post by kevin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 am

JPB wrote:
TerryG wrote:
It's good that he's an enthusiast though at 12mpg he'd need to be a wealthy one. Did he open the bonnet or did his radio tell him to go and collect the bride & groom from the airport before he had the chance? ;)
:D

kevin

#307 Post by kevin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Had a lovely day out with the Singer yesterday (Sunday) at the Llangollen Railway show.

Pics here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/ph ... highlight=

It was a very friendly affair, with a free ride on an old bus

and one on some old trains into Llangollen.

The car was a joy to be out and about in and must say she did me proud and looked great even in some fantastic company..sometimes you dont appreciate what you have?

One thing that struck me in this period of being new to vintage shows is the cost of the available food and drink..extortionate and not always great quality.
I dug out my old Stanley Aladdin flask and filled it after pre warming it. Some 2 in 1 coffee sachets and I was set.
First cuppa was steaming, the next, about an our later was luke warm :(
Those regulars I spoke with were really well set up, many had neat little shelters and small gas cookers. Hot brews and bacon buttys were the norm..
So, popped to a camping superstore on my way home and bought some essentials

This:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-rev ... ve-p262518

and a lightweight frying pad, kettle, low alloy folding table/stand and some anti slip matting.
Plan is to still fill the flask with hot water to cut down on the boiling time.
So, apart from maybe sorting a lightweight shelter out, I reckon the next outings will be both a better dining experience along with being a lot easier on the pocket :D. (once the investment is recouped...lol)
Will also be used when I go out and about over the welsh hills.

Kev

kevin

#308 Post by kevin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:22 am

As mentioned earlier in this blog, after removing the '80s Pye cassette player and the Radiomobile 8 track player (all bubble wrapped and boxed safely), I fitted my period Sony 7f-74dl radio set..

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_7f74dl7_f_74_d.html

After fitting it, whilst it was removed to fit some new batteries, I noticed a series of female jack plugs on the side. Got a suitable lead and found that I could actually play my music stored on my Iphone through it..result!
Worked fine but the original speakers were past their best.hissing and crackling.

As a tight git, Ive kept my eye open on the Bay of E for some bargains and last week such Items were purchased

This:

and these:

The single, bass speaker was a direct swap, even the mounting holes matched up.
To fit the 2 side speaker, I made some mdf mounting plates. these were fixed to the under-side of the rear shelf, the speakers then fixed to them, quite neat and will suffice until the winter. All the original speaker grills were reused so apart from a great sound, nothing looks different.
All connectors were soldered and heat-shrunk to eliminate loose connections.
I am on the lookout for 2 chrome speaker grills, 9" x 6" to replace the Radiomobile black plastic items.

This coming winter, I will remove the rear shelf (clipped in) and fit the speakers with small bolts through the metal under-tray, I can the fit the new grills direct to the shelf boarding, wont look any different but the installation will be a lot cleaner.

To finish, I gave the car a wipe over and a quick polish. Tomorrow (Sunday) we are taking an elderly aunt to see her late Fathers grave in Oswestry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Whitfield

She adores the Singer and loves a spin out. After that I am booked into a '60s festival next Sunday at Llangollen Railway.

Kev

rich.

#309 Post by rich. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:27 pm

what an interesting chap! thanks :thumbs:

kevin

#310 Post by kevin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Up early today, nothing planned so after having a look round to find any problems arising from the recent deluge of rain (koi pond filters etc), and after fixing a tyre puncture for my son, decided on an oil and filter change for the Singer.

Up to now, ive been running the car on a 20/50 generic, service garage oil that my good friend gets by the 25ltr drum. Does the job well and is ideal for situations where short intervals between changes are needed (ive used it more or less as a flushing oil, leaving about 100 mile between each change) as its quite cheap. I have changed the oil 8 times since I got the car out of her slumber last year, the initial few changes were filthy, flushing out a lot of crud no doubt, this last oil drop was nice and clean however.
This time Ive gone for a quality, classic oil from Morris Oils, along with a fresh filter. After a quick tootle around, the engine certainly seems to run very smooth on it, especially on tickover.

Kev