'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Paul240480

Re: 'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

#181 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Okay ta. The needle sits bang on 3 o'clock, so as you say. I bought the sensor a while ago thinking a problem I had was down to it failing . It wasn't hence the new one sitting in my collection of bits. Maybe I'll leave that alone too

Luxobarge

#182 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Paul240480 wrote:Okay ta. The needle sits bang on 3 o'clock, so as you say. I bought the sensor a while ago thinking a problem I had was down to it failing . It wasn't hence the new one sitting in my collection of bits. Maybe I'll leave that alone too
As you probably know, the CTS (coolant temperature sensor) provides a signal to both the ECU and the temperature guage, which is handy as you can then use the temperature guage as a rough indicator of what the CTS is telling the ECU. If it warms up reasonably quickly and then sits at 3 o'clock, it's highly unlikely IMHO that there's anything really wrong with the CTS, so unless you're getting codes specific to CTS or have some other reason to specifically indicate it's not working, I would indeed leave it well alone. Also, statistically they're pretty reliable!

Another job saved!

Cheers bud!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#183 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Ta again LB.
:D

Just taken advantage of Eurocarparts current sale and have bagged me a radiator for £90.11 delivered. EIU is the make, never heard of them lol.

Paul240480

#184 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Well, the radiator arrived on Wednesday ! Good service ! It is German.
Has a few fins bent, but not overly concerned.
The original doesn't appear to have those two brass outlets on the left. Think they are to make this one fit other models, maybe auto models. :?:
Having read again Luxobarges rad replacement saga, I have doused those two big retaining bolt (from top and bottom) with 'PB Blaster' as the yanks call it. 50/50 ATF and acetone. Hopefully that'll help them free up without busting anything...... More on progress soon .

Luxobarge

#185 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Those two brass connectionpoints are for the oil cooler pipes from the Autobox - if yours isn't an auto, then it's the wrong radiator. It may or may not fit....

Turbo models (or the T5 at any rate) have similar ones on the other side too, for engine oil cooler pipes.

Note: if yours DOES have those oil cooler pipes, you will almost certainly need new pipe retaining clips to hold the pipes in, and ideally new O-rings too. You will see my method of removing them on the Volvo thread. The clips go weak over time, and it's not an area you want to take risks in, because if those pipes come out when you're driving, it will dump all its oil in very short order, with amusing consequences....

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#186 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Okay, I sent pics to ECP to confirm.... And they reckon it has extra outlets to make it 'one fits all' ?
Zeb is manual ........

Luxobarge

#187 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Yep, it might well be a "one size fits all" version - only one way to find out!

Paul240480

#188 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Yep, it might well be a "one size fits all" version - only one way to find out!
Yes indeed........ Tis gonna be a real pain if it's wrong though.... Wondering now wether to 'limp on' another week till I get the 'new' V70 , then it won't be such an issue if your suspicions prove right!

EDIT:
Just spoke to ECP 'helpline', got put on hold.....then cut off grr! Tried again. got a helpful chap, but he couldn't confirm the issue, though he thought the 'extra' ports were for auto, but that the item is now made as 1 fits both Auto' and Man'.......

Did a bit of google digging & on adrad website, got this:

In some cases the manufacturers now supply one radiator to suit both the manual and automatic versions of the vehicle. If your vehicle is manual then it may be that the new
radiator comes with 2 extra brass ports/pipes that are not on your old radiator. Please ignore these ports, they do not need removed or touched in anyway, they are blanked internally and only come into use when an automatic vehicles oil cooler pipes are connected to them.

So with a bit of luck I'll be okay!

JPB

#189 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Times haven't half changed! Last time I wanted a fresh radiator for one of my various Volvos (an automatic 245DL, but the principle I'm questioning isn't car-specific), the one supplied had no connections for the transmission cooler pipes and I had to fit a separate cooler, no bad thing as the original, combined radiators were forever failing and filling the water jacket with ATF mixed and worse; the trans with coolant mixed.
Does the provision of the ATF cooler reduce the engine's coolant capacity by much in these combined ones or is the core denser to cope?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#190 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 pm

I'll have to plead ignorance on that, I'm still hoping that mine is in fact okay for my car . ECP haven't really instilled confidence! Once fitted, either way they shall receive a tad of 'feedback'!