'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: 'Zeb' - (Not a Classic) Bloggy!

#171 Post by rich. » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:58 am

TerryG wrote:Always nice to have working a/c. You will have a cool summer next year :)

we need it now, it still gets chuffin hot :D

Paul240480

#172 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm

It's working' well....had it blasting' on 'recirc' today... And when I got out after parking, my sun specs misted up! :lol:

rich.

#173 Post by rich. » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 pm

am i jelous? too bleedin right i am...

TerryG

#174 Post by TerryG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Most JCBs are fitted with after market a/c once they have been sold to their 3rd or 4th owner. They all lose their glass allowing the free flow of air past the operator ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#175 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:21 am

mine is an 86 model & still has all its glass.. i did have a door replaced on insurance after it got broken a few weeks ago... just need to replace all the other seals now..

Paul240480

#176 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:32 pm

Air-con update..... still Brrrrrrr 8-)

An earlier post shows where I got up to with the Gliptone Leather Treatment.

I decided the treatment alone was not going to help where the colour had 'gone', so got some of the Gliptone Scuffmaster..... 'off the shelf' in Volvo Dark Blue :D

So gave it a go today, followed by another application of the conditioner:

Gave the rear bench a 'go' with the cleaner nd conditioner:

(still got passenger seat to do)

Paul240480

#177 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 am

So, having done an epic 950 mile trip over two days a weeks or so ago, during which Zeb just purred all the way. We have had two casualties......

1) During the trip the odometer conked out . So that'll be the dreaded busted cog deep in 'the works' . Still that'll be a kick start to replace some dash light bulbs!

2) Noticed anti-freeze was low before the trip. Topped up and it is now low again.... Just popped him on ramps & ran till warm..... and it appears the rad' has 'had it'. Leaking from lower off-side corner.

I already have a new engine temp' sensor, so may as well do that & guess it is a good idea to replace the thermostat too!

Luxobarge

#178 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Paul - both are fairly straighforward jobs, lots of advice on "how to" on our favourite Ovlov forum as you know.

My "Pride and joy" thread will take you through radiator replacement - pretty easy overall, it all depends on whether the main bottom rad mounting bolts come out without shearing the captive nut. Not the end of the world if the do shear, but saves the hassle and fiddle if they don't.

Don't worry about overall reliability here, radiators on these cars are more or less a consumable service item - every 130,000 miles or so seems to be the going rate ;)

I believe the cog in the odometer shearing is cause by re-setting it while moving - should always be stationary when pressing the button - worth remembering to help prevent it busting again. I don't think getting the instruments out is anything like as much hassle as you'd think - just be careful and methodical and you'll be fine.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#179 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks Luxo' . I've slapped in some Bardahl leak stop to keep him going till I come to replace. I watched the 'drip drip drip' become an extremely slow drip......................drip...............drip as it did its best.

Yes I've heard about the reset being the cause of failure. As such I've not touched the reset in about 18 months moving or otherwise, but it has still conked, grr! lol.

I stripped a dash out in a yard sometime back, i wanted the bulbs & mate wanted a cog for his TDI (which also failed at 192k like mine!) . As mentioned it'll kick start me into getting those bulbs done...... also I'll find out for sure my suspicion that a previous owner removed the Lamda light!

I have a new engine temp sensor ready to go, so may as well fit it 'during'.... in your opinion, should I do the thermostat too?

Luxobarge

#180 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Paul, IMHO I'd just replace the temp sender if that's faulty, if there's no reason to suspect the thermostat I'd leave well alone - you'll only strip the cheesy bolt heads and crack the housing replacing a perfectly good thermostat etc. etc. - if it's not broken, then don't fix it!

If on the other hand the temperature guage doesn't sit constantly at 3 o'clock after you're replaced the sender, then and only then would I start thinking about the 'stat.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.