Today I have been ?????????????? to my classic

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
MidgetSaab

Today I have been ?????????????? to my classic

#1 Post by MidgetSaab » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:17 pm

An idea nicked from another forum, your chance to tell all what you've been up to today with your classic, either fixing or driving. I'll make a start having had an enjoyable couple of hours tinkering this afternoon.

I don't like starting cars without driving them somewhere so tend to push them if i need to shuffle them about a little bit. It may stem from having been a marshal at Silverstone for about 8 years and I like to keep my hand in with the pushing. Anyway having ignored the Midget for a month and found it was getting harder to push it around with sraping noises coming from the rear wheels I thought it was time for a look. I removed the rear brake drums from it, gave everything a clean and check, put it back together and adjusted them up. I would have done this job more quickly if the dog hadn't taken a liking to my mechanic's gloves while adjusting the brakes, he managed to pull one off and disappear with it. A 20 mile run in it gave no problems with the braking but showed up an irregular misfire so I've also changed the condensor which seems to have done the trick.
Everything came apart nice and easily, which given the drums haven't been off in the 5 years I've had it isn't bad going. Simple stuff but very satisfying.

hobby

Re: Today I have been ?????????????? to my classic

#2 Post by hobby » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Went to the scrappy for some rear seat belts and found it had shut down (!) and then onto town to buy some socks... Exciting life, eh!

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Today I have been running in some replacement wiring for the fogs on my range (the wiring was too corroded to solder to). While i had my cabling and soldering stuff out i ran in the cables for the spot lights i bought for my morris minor 10 years ago! (i always knew i would get round to it eventually!)

I have also borded up the windows on the front of my garage after waking up to broken glass all over the drive where they have been blown out!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#4 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Uncovered the Maxi,and almost lost the car cover in the wind!
Stuck some petrol in and took my son round to see a mate.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

Aar0sc

#5 Post by Aar0sc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Fitted this:
Works wonderfully! :)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

SEE YA

#6 Post by SEE YA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Today I have been grinding on my wife's classic 69 Kammann beetle near the door hinge bottom.
Ready for some lead loading next week if not before?.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE

Aar0sc

#7 Post by Aar0sc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:48 pm

SEE YA wrote:Today I have been grinding on my wife's bottom.
Teeheeheeeheeeheheheheeheheee! :D :lol:
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Lord Tolly

#8 Post by Lord Tolly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Today I have had bad knee joint pain so fitting this back into my Toledo will have to wait till springtime. :cry:

is it springtime yet???

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 pm

Nice job, Glenn, but isn't Triumph spelt with an F? :? :D It is on the log book of mine. :shock:

Today I have mostly been making fire with electricity and carbon pencils in order to melt and fuse together some previously unrelated pieces of steel.
After an hour or so of this, my grass cutter's box was once again hole-free so then I sat down and looked at some phone pics of the Cinquecento that's up north and needs to be finished in 34 days time. Best I stop footering on with the fun stuff then. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MANTAMAN

#10 Post by MANTAMAN » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 am

I would have done this job more quickly if the dog hadn't taken a liking to my mechanic's gloves while adjusting the brakes, he managed to pull one off and disappear with it. A 20 mile run in it gave no problems
OMG, you have to run 20 miles every time the dog steals your gloves? you should enter the marathon in the Olympics!!!

Today i have been helping my friend weld more good metal back into my his classic, pleasant afternoon, radio on, much coffee and chocy biccy's and talk about cars.
Ian Virco, Opel Manta OC area rep Beds,Herts & Bucks. owner of many Manta's and various random Vauxhall's!!!