Introductions

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

Introductions

#1 Post by TerryG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:41 pm

We had a thread for new users on the old forum so i thought i would start an introductions thread for new users on the new forum.
Confused yet?

If you're new to the Practical Classics forum put a few lines in here to say who you are and what you're driving at the moment.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

stagman

Re: Introductions

#2 Post by stagman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Terry

I have a Triumph Stag - tucked up for the winter at the moment and a 20 yr old Mini Cooper one of the last ones with a Carb rather than injection. The mini is my wifes everyday car so that has to put up with the salt but in the summer she uses them both as daily drivers. She gets to drive them far more than I do!! But at least she is happy to spend all our money on cars :D

themoog

#3 Post by themoog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi all.

I'm Simon, 35 and from Norfolk. I currently drive a 1998 R reg BMW e36 318i SE as I have 2 young kids and feel I should surround them with as much car as possible when I take them out. It's a compromise, but it'll do. I've had it for 4 years now, and it's done 140,000 miles but keeps going through MOT's so it's pointless selling it tbh! For practicle purposes I'd like either the e36 325TDS or a newer e46 320D.

I like my 80's British cars though...the Metro, Maestro and Montegos...as I grew up with them. Ultimately I'd love to own either an MG Maestro Turbo or a Metro 6R4, but I have other stuff to worry about first and unfortunately buying and restoring a classic car is quite low down on my list at present.
The mark of a true gentleman is that he knows how to Charleston but doesn't.

bobbusmaximus

#4 Post by bobbusmaximus » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, hi all. I'm Bob and I don't have a classic yet. Unless you count a rusty, Kent-engined Ford. It's a Ka and I'm in the owner's klub. :D

Anyway - the ultimate goal is to own a Spit or a GT6 but first I need to learn all there is to know and would be happy to help on any projects in the Edinburgh area!
Owner of a rusty Ford...

pryantcc

#5 Post by pryantcc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:20 am

Hi,
I'm Paul. I live in Wicklow in Ireland & I'm very slowly undertaking the restoration of a 1948 Alvis TA14. Mechanical stuff is more-or-less done. By that I mean that if you hooked up a fuel and electrical supply, it could be driven until one or the other ran out! I'm focussed on having the car ready for paint by the this summer. My first child is due in July and I don't expect to be permitted any garage time once that happens! I'll put up my story so far at some point!

messerschmitt owner

#6 Post by messerschmitt owner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 am

I'm Campbell, live in Gloucester, work for a publisher and ...

my current fleet includes a

Messerschmitt Kr200
Berkeley B95
Bond Minicar
smart roadster
Fiat Punto cabriolet
three Citroen XMs
and will perhaps soon include a BX too.

I have a few other cars, but I'll save them for another time.

FrazzleTC

#7 Post by FrazzleTC » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Hello, I'm a 19 year old chap from Dumfries and Galloway who drives a 1967 Rover 2000 automatic. I look forward to contributing to this new forum.

DoloMIGHTY

#8 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:36 pm

My name is Alan, I live on the Isle of Wight.

I have owned several Triumph saloon cars over the years. My present car is a 1975 Triumph Dolomite. I had it dragged out of a front garden 10 years ago, two days away from being collected by the scrap man.

In September this year it under went the last bit of bodywork surgery and is now as good as it ever could be.

Looking forward to meeting other members on here old and new and swaping stories and experinces with all our old cars.
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

Minxy

#9 Post by Minxy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Hello all

I'm Minxy or Martyn. Was little minx on the old forum.

For those that don't know i have a 1955 hillman Minx convertible for those that do know Iv'e still got it :)
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

markmg

#10 Post by markmg » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi I'm Mark and I'm an alc..... whoops sorry wrong forum. :oops:

Old joke I know

I'm in Glawster and I have an MG midget that has been off the road for over ten years :oops: :oops:

Ought to get on with it rather than mess about on here.

ta ta for now