STARTING PROBS

Post your technical queries / problems here!
koogie

STARTING PROBS

#1 Post by koogie » Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi all, got a bit of a problem with my Rover V8, try as i might she just wont start. Got fuel (fresh) pumping through i know this because i undid the fuel pipe union just after the filter b4 it goes into carbs & turned her over. I've got a spark as well but nothing, shes not even trying...not even a cough or a splutter. Any ideas?

TerryG

Re: STARTING PROBS

#2 Post by TerryG » Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Have you got points or electronic ignition?
If you have fuel then the next candidate is spark. If you pull the king lead out of the dizzy cap and rest it ontop of the engine so it isn't quite touching then crank it over do you get a spark? if you do, try it with a plug lead, if not then it could be feed to the coil, the coil itself, points or condensor (or ignition amp if you have electronic ignition).
If you have spark from the king lead but not from one of the plug leads then it's probably a dodgy rotor arm (or less likley the cap).
If you have spark from the plug leads and fuel is supplied then check you have the timing set correctly.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

koogie

#3 Post by koogie » Sun May 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, i'm going to get in the garage tomorrow & check the things suggested . Will post findings, hopefully its something simple. Thanks again

SirTainleyBarking

#4 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Sun May 01, 2011 8:39 pm

No spark at the plugs, but at the king lead? Dodgy Lucas Rotor arms are not unknown, as they bought a bunch of Chinese made ones, which weren't up to standard. Yes I was stranded a couple of times by this!
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 pm

SirTainleyBarking wrote:No spark at the plugs, but at the king lead? Dodgy Lucas Rotor arms are not unknown, as they bought a bunch of Chinese made ones, which weren't up to standard. Yes I was stranded a couple of times by this!
That's also one of the first things my money would be on, if there were a gamble to be had on this problem. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

koogie

#6 Post by koogie » Mon May 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Got a spark right through to the spark plug but does seem to be weak, looking at the rotorarm the bakalite looks to be slightly damaged but electrode seems ok, points a bit pitted. I've a good mind to replace the whole lot tbh, the components seem relatively cheap.

Morrisand944S2man

#7 Post by Morrisand944S2man » Mon May 02, 2011 7:16 pm

If the spark is weak, check the points are opening the right amount, and check the timing. You may have a spark but at the wrong time! Also check the distributor cap for cracking and burning.

koogie

#8 Post by koogie » Mon May 02, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies, am determined to get to the bottom of it. Will let you know how it goes.

Morrisand944S2man

#9 Post by Morrisand944S2man » Mon May 02, 2011 9:45 pm

Also, with the ignition on, feel the coil. Newer repro coils seem much more prone to failure, if it is on the way out the coil will be very hot to the touch.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Checking....
Yes, Terry mentioned the condenser way back on post 2. 8-)
These are truly atrocious nowadays, best solution is to buy a capacitor of the correct value from Maplins or eBay seller Sovcom, the one you want is 630VW at a value of 0.1-0.2uF, if the lower value is too little, you'll get a slightly weak spark in which case use a couple in parallel to double the value or buy one of each and use whichever runs better, they're cheap enough and, in teflon or polypropylene, reliable.

I've sent some of these out to forum members before the new forum started, can't remember where every one went but one was for an Alvis I think, whose original condenser would have had plenty of space inside its shell to hide the new cap.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: