Trying to get an engine to run that hasn`t in ten years or more

Post your technical queries / problems here!
megadethmaniac

Trying to get an engine to run that hasn`t in ten years or more

#1 Post by megadethmaniac » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm

Ok I`ve been disassembling the Herald with a view to getting the chassis / body repaired. Things have been going pretty slowly, Glacially slowly if you listen to MrsM.

I`ve decided to men time try and get thee engine running.

The tank is off so I`ve been using a mix of a fuel can and easy start.

The thing turns quite happily. I have a sparkright tester which seems to show spark but I do not get any sort of attempt at running.

I checked the firing order and that the dizzy is roughly around plug1 when the engine should be TDC.

Any hints/ tips?

Dick

Re: Trying to get an engine to run that hasn`t in ten years or more

#2 Post by Dick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:35 am

Setup the timing properly with new leads plugs cap points coil.. are you getting on fuel through the carb?

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:47 am

megadethmaniac wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm

I checked the firing order and that the dizzy is roughly around plug1 when the engine should be TDC.
Yes, but are both valves closed on that cylinder, i.e. are you sure it's on the compression stroke? If they're open then it's on the exhaust stroke and you're way out on the timing, obviously. I don't know this engine well, but I'd be confident that it will have timing marks on the pulley somewhere, and you can get the timing roughly right by lining these up and then turning the dizzy so the points JUST open - easier to see if you put a meter across the points. You still need to make sure #1 is on the compression stroke though.

Hope it's as simple as that!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

megadethmaniac

#4 Post by megadethmaniac » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm

Am I sure that fuel was getting into the carb, well I`ve been dosing the carb with superUL before trying to start it and or giving it a good spray of easy start 10 seconds before cranking the engine. Any one watch Hoovies car wizard? I`m sure he called it easy shart! Is that a side effect? Some fuel would have escaped but not all I would have figured.

I`ve replaced the pug leads and the sparkright unit seems to be flashing so I figure it has a spark going to the plugs.

In terms of the engine. I`d read that when no 4 both closed no 1 would be TDC on the compression stroke on no1 so, with the rotor being there or thereabouts it ought to be roughly right timed, well enough to it to try and start, I would have figured.

The timing marks on the pulley are not easy to see. Might just have to get a wire brush down there and clear off the muck and rust to try and get a better or clearer view.

Dick

#5 Post by Dick » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 pm

When you clean the timing marks put a bit of tippex on them to highlight them

Luxobarge

#6 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:34 pm

megadethmaniac wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:29 pm
In terms of the engine. I`d read that when no 4 both closed no 1 would be TDC on the compression stroke on no1 so, with the rotor being there or thereabouts it ought to be roughly right timed, well enough to it to try and start, I would have figured.
I'm afraid what you read was wrong. Think about it, to be a compression stroke the valves HAVE to be closed, right? With one or more open it's on an exhaust/induction stroke. I think if you have both closed on no 4 then you're 180 degrees out on the distributor (360 degrees out on the crank). Do it with both closed on No 1 and time the spark to No 1 and you'll get some action, trust me.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#7 Post by Dick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:32 am

You could take the rocker cover off to check if the valves are closed.
When I have an engine that won't start i squirt a bit of petrol into the cylinder (via the spark plugs holes) then she usually starts

Dick

#8 Post by Dick » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:43 am

This maybe helpful

https://youtu.be/PGMUGjlV5HU

:lol:

megadethmaniac

#9 Post by megadethmaniac » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 pm

I prefer their other "mix" for Christ`s sake come on...

The old ones are the best. Can`t imagine my 16 year old imagining just how flaky old cars were 30 odd years back.

suffolkpete

#10 Post by suffolkpete » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:54 am

There is a real product called "start ya bastard" I believe to be of Australian manufacture
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6