Austin Allegro VDP Keeps Blowing Fuse!!!!

Post your technical queries / problems here!
peasie

Austin Allegro VDP Keeps Blowing Fuse!!!!

#1 Post by peasie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:53 am

Hi everyone was wondering if anyone can help
I have a 1981 Vanden plas in great condition but the 35amp fuse keeps blowing once inserted,it supplies the horn,interior light,cigarette lighter (if fitted),split brake test switch and warning light (if fitted) and cooling fan motor and relay there are 4 wires either side of this fuse connection on the back of the fuse box.
I was thinking that one of the live wires must be earthing out somewhere causing the fuse to blow am i correct?
Now i know this may be a bit extreme but i was going to cut all 4 lives and reconnect 1 at a time to trace which one is shorting out and what it supplies,then once found i could replace with a fresh length of wire.
Or is there a easier way to trace it?
Any ideas?
Cheers Steve :)

Grease Monkey

Re: Austin Allegro VDP Keeps Blowing Fuse!!!!

#2 Post by Grease Monkey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:59 am

Steve, don't cut the wires!, the simplest way is to disconnect everything that that fuse feeds then reconnect one a time and see which blows the fuse. Or if the fuse still blows with everything disconnected you may have a wire that is going to ground, a more difficult fault to trace. Do you have a multimeter? if you have, set to measure resistance and connect the red lead to the accessory side of the fuse box and the black to ground, this will save you using the fuses, the meter will show no resistance if there is a fault, again disconnect each accessory and see when the meter reads infinity, that circuit or accessory is at fault.
Is that clear? not easy to put into words, Neil Campbell covered using a multimeter a couple of issues ago.

John Simpson
1964 Sunbeam Rapier IV
1966 Sunbeam Alpine V GT
1981 Mini City
1983 MG Metro
1997 MGF
2003 MG ZS
2004 MG ZT T

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#3 Post by mr rusty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am

Don't get to carried away with the wire cutters yet! It's a messy way of doing it as you'll have to rejoin them all again.

Start by disconnecting the things on the circuits, i.e. unplug the hooter, take the bulb out of the courtesy lamp, unplug the fan relay, the fag lighter, etc, and then put the fuse back in: hopefully it won't blow because there won't be any live circuits.

You should then at least be able to narrow the faulty circuit down a bit by replacing one item at a time and seeing if the fuse blows or not.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

TerryG

#4 Post by TerryG » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am

My money would be on the horn as they are live with a switched earth so i'd unplug that first.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:28 am

TerryG wrote:My money would be on the horn as they are live with a switched earth so i'd unplug that first.
In cases where the horn push is in the wheel, possibly, but the VdP is basically an Allegro and, as such, has a stalk switch that is switched conventionally. Source, Autodata - 1971-1981. This doesn't mean that the horn isn't the problem of course, but just clarifying the wiring... :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am

JPB wrote:
TerryG wrote:My money would be on the horn as they are live with a switched earth so i'd unplug that first.
In cases where the horn push is in the wheel, possibly, but the VdP is basically an Allegro and, as such, has a stalk switch that is switched conventionally. Source, Autodata - 1971-1981. This doesn't mean that the horn isn't the problem of course, but just clarifying the wiring... :)
ahh, OK. Shows how much I know about allegros ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

peasie

#7 Post by peasie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

Wow brilliant replies everyone thanks

Going to unplug everything first as you all suggested and take it from there,will keep you all posted
Cheers Steve :D