Strange noises, Stuck inlet valve?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Re: Strange noises, Stuck inlet valve?

#11 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:50 pm

TerryG wrote:Why aren't cars simple?!?!
The old saying is true mate - "If it's got tits or wheels, it'll give you trouble".

I feel for you mate - I wish I could come up with some more suggestions, but without seeing the car it's really difficult. Do keep us updated, and don't give up!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#12 Post by TerryG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

You've already given me lots of things to try. Fingers crossed the gent that has my car on his driveway will find a solution that isn't too wallet busting.
Absolute worst case scenario I have started rebuilding the 4.2 that was origionally in the car, all it needs to finish it off is the valves being lapped in and some new oil seals then i could re-fit it.
I wouldn't mind but it has picked a time of year when i need my car.
Never mind. As much as it irritates me I'd buy another one tomorrow if this one had to go.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

TerryG

#13 Post by TerryG » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:15 pm

The garage have (FINALLY!) managed to get the damn thing started. it runs on 7 pots as before which is better than the "dead" i had managed to get it to.
Both my origional and "known good" distributors are knackered so i have ordered a new one.
Cylinder 3 has "very poor" compression which I already knew as you can feel it blowing back through the inlet trumpet. Goodish news there.
BOTH exhaust manifolds are cracked(!) so it sounds much worse than it is. Next job is heads off to see why i have a dead pot, fix that then buy myself a new exhaust.
then some welding
then new brakes
then new diffs as mine clunk a bit

Have i mentioned that i hate cars?

TerryG

#14 Post by TerryG » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Popped over to the bloke who had my car this morning to get some information straight from the horses mouth.
He says that whoever did my compression check was telling porkies. It has no compression on 1/3 and it is lower than it should be on 2, 5 and 7.
So the reason it sounds rubbish and really doesn't want to work properly is that i have 3 working cylinders.
NUTS!
He doesn't have time to do the head gaskets today so i brought it home (about 300 yards) and pulled off the right hand cylinder head as it is the easiest one to get at. There is a 1" hole between 1 and 3, between 5 and 7 it is VERY burnt but not absent. It is now cold and dark enough that i don't want to do any more work on it today but i have a new set of gaskets ready to put on tomorrow.
It will be fun working out how to remove burnt gasket without scratching the ally.
Reading the instructions on changing head gaskets on RAVE rather than Haynes the torque settings are VERY different.
Stupid me had torqued the heads down as though i had a 14 stud head (standard bolts should be at 90nm) rather than a 10 stud head (strech bolts 20nm then 90deg then 90deg more).
DOH!
He also said he suspected i have a "porus block" but after some chatting and me showing him the old plugs he described the plug from "2" as "steam cleaned". it's possible that it is just a leak between the waterway and cylinder 2. (fingers crossed as i am 1000 miles out of warranty!) If that doesn't work then i'll be bunging some irontite in and hoping that brings it back to health.
I still hate cars but when i have this one back running properly again normal service will be resumed.