Singer Gazelle Heater refresh

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Re: Singer Gazelle Heater refresh

#11 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:39 pm

Loving those pictures and the story of your car - great stuff! Do keep us updated on here, I'd love to know how you get on.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#12 Post by Dick » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Love the photos mate..

styleruk

#13 Post by styleruk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 am

Got some foam to cut new vent seals.
foam.JPG
foam.JPG (153.44 KiB) Viewed 24754 times
Just reassembled valve with 3 o rings and some sealant. Just waiting for some black hammerite to paint the inside and prevent more rust build up, to be honest, after 55 years, there is not much rust. So it will see me out. The outside of it I primered and spray painted to get the best look, sadly I filled some dents too. Also cleaned up all the mechs, need to reassemble them soon....the workshop manual I have is brilliant at describing what everything inside does and how it connects. Without that it would be very hard to understand. It's amazing how such a simple looking heater can quickly become quite tricky to setup again.
One thing I noticed, when I fitted new carpets inside, I can see they partially cover the floor vents, so I need to trim the carpets too. Wondered why I had cold feet when I took that winter run to Scotland a couple of years ago.

I'll update more pics as I go. I have currently digressed to updgrading my compressor as it struggles to keep up with spraying, I have a classic compressor from the 60s and it's in need of a new pump and motor, so I'm rebuilding that at the same time. Also just finishing painting a 2 post lift I aquired for nothing, that needed a bit of work and it's nice to have so I can lift Mrs Ings up and maybe replace the rear springs, they are original and she sits a bit low, so that looks like a job.
Keep safe, stay at home, protect the NHS...oh and rebuild stuff.

styleruk

#14 Post by styleruk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am

Pic of Mrs Ings looking on at me rebuilding the old compressor. I got her pressure tested and the steel is still 6mm thick all over. This old stuff lasts forever, however, someone fitted a small motor/pump. So I've bought a 3hp v twin pump and motor. I hope Mrs Ings realises I will be able to spray her better when that is done :D
compressor.JPG
compressor.JPG (192.06 KiB) Viewed 24754 times

styleruk

#15 Post by styleruk » Sun May 10, 2020 11:54 am

So I finished the heater renovation, now has;
everything painted
filled the dents on front of main box and resprayed. Painted inside and out.
Stripped everthing down to the last washer
Tested the fan, motor draws expected current and works perfect with no bearing play.
Refurbished and sealed the valve
Freshened the tubes and pipes with a combination of rubber revitalising liquid, WD-40 and light high pressure spraying.
Cut new foam seals

Apart from fitting, (which I'll do after I've fitted the renovated engine), there is only the smiths label to refit. But I've had some ideas about that and I might 3d print my own to look original and paint it to suit. Or even 3d print my own custom badge, maybe with her name on it 'Mrs Ings - 1965'. Why not.
One thing I will say, if you are doing this yourself, take a ton of pictures or have a decent manual. For me it was easy, I took pics, have a very good orignal workshop manual that goes into great detail of how to set it up and I also have another I picked up years ago that's knackered. So it was easy to re-assemble.
Now to finish the rest of the car...damn. Actually, whilst waiting for paint, I started renovating an overdrive gearbox that looks awful, but that's another thread.
20200510_115735.jpg
20200510_115735.jpg (171.01 KiB) Viewed 24627 times

styleruk

#16 Post by styleruk » Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 am

Recently renovated this very rusty old car lift and have just got it working correctly, (notice blocks of wood for security, don't trust anything). So now looking at changing the rear leaf springs, that'll probably be another post.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (170.39 KiB) Viewed 24627 times

styleruk

#17 Post by styleruk » Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 pm

This is her old gearbox v's the overdrive box I'm going to fit. (I have a few questions I'll post in another thread)
20200506_162813.jpg
20200506_162813.jpg (235.96 KiB) Viewed 24627 times

styleruk

#18 Post by styleruk » Sun May 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Oh, and I finished the compressor. Striped, painted, new pump, new motor, new connectors, one way valve, 0 pressure valve, starter, turned new switch, 3d printed bottom cover. A 1960 tank still good as new, pressure tested and it is still 6mm thick steel all around. Tested to 250PSI. Now there is no excuse to not finish painting Mrs Ings.
image.jpg
image.jpg (133.07 KiB) Viewed 24627 times

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm

What a gorgeous GSD that is! Did you have to bribe the lovely beast to pose like that, or are they used to being photographed?
Liking the lift too, most useful to have and it seems to fit well enough in the space you have for it. Saying that, the roof clearance for the two poster that Will and Gus use in "Flipping Bangers" is far lower and they manage somehow.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#20 Post by Dick » Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Flipping bangers.. far superior to car sos... ( no nice but bloody annoying tim) any idea when a new series is on ?