Singer Gazelle Heater refresh

Post your technical queries / problems here!
JPB

Re: Singer Gazelle Heater refresh

#21 Post by JPB » Sun May 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Dick wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 pm
Flipping bangers.. far superior to car sos... ( no nice but bloody annoying tim) any idea when a new series is on ?
No eye dear, I don't know whether they plan to make a fourth series but I must support SOS as Fuzz's skills are somewhat further developed than those of the guys on Flipping Bangers (no offence fellas, I get that your way is all about preserving a car, apart from the Alfa of course and that could happen to anyone in the real day to day world of old cars) and if it's inspiration I'm after, then SOS every time, but if it's agricultural repairs on the cheap with a spot of Discovery TDI action thrown in, then Bangers all the way.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#22 Post by Dick » Mon May 11, 2020 5:18 am

Not knocking fuzz , a great mechanic.. if they stopped showing tim it would be a great show.. i don't watch it anymore.

styleruk

#23 Post by styleruk » Mon May 11, 2020 7:16 am

JPB wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:31 pm
What a gorgeous GSD that is! Did you have to bribe the lovely beast to pose like that, or are they used to being photographed?
Liking the lift too, most useful to have and it seems to fit well enough in the space you have for it. Saying that, the roof clearance for the two poster that Will and Gus use in "Flipping Bangers" is far lower and they manage somehow.
She spends all her time next to me, especially during this lock down. Currently in my study working (I'm a mechanical design engineer so I can work from home), she is plopped down next to me. Now and then brings a ball as though to say, come on, play time. Have a husky too, nice to have the dogs during covid lock down.
The lift was an old one my brother gave me. it was in a bad way, but a lot of tinkering and help from both my brothers (regarding electrics), I managed to get it working. Then painted it up. As far as the roof goes, I can indeed extend the ceiling up another 3foot, so will do that another weekend. But it's so nice to work on things without laying on my back. Will look at making a motorbike platform somehow that fits to the arms so I can service my BMW easier.

styleruk

#24 Post by styleruk » Mon May 11, 2020 7:22 am

Dick wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:07 pm
Flipping bangers.. far superior to car sos... ( no nice but bloody annoying tim) any idea when a new series is on ?
You know, I've never watched them shows. I just find them all too fake and obvious. I tend to not watch a lot of telly anyway, I have 2 bands that I play in and don't have any spare time. Even during this lock down period, I'm finding far too many things to do like writing songs for a new album, working on the car, fixing anything and making odd projects in my workshop even talking to the wife....the list is endless. But to sit down and watch a load of drama queens make up rubbish, just is not for me. I might have done them a big dis-service there, they might be good guys really, but I have not spent a moment watching any of them kind of shows. If I do have some time spare to kill, I'll play Elite Dangerous on my PC instead.

Dick

#25 Post by Dick » Mon May 11, 2020 5:08 pm

I must admit that if you want something more realistic than the usual tv nonsense its best to watch star trek..
;)
Anyway back to your car is it possible to fit a 5 speed box from a modern car as opposed to the one with overdrive?

styleruk

#26 Post by styleruk » Mon May 11, 2020 5:14 pm

I completely agree with the star trek comment. That's probably why I love Elite, been playing it since 1984 and it gets better every decade 😊
The gearbox is more original and I only have to shorten the prop to fit it. In any case, I'll get overdrive in 3rd and 4th. Which is.... ER... useful for a gazelle.

styleruk

#27 Post by styleruk » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:42 am

Sooo, an update related to the smiths heater. I was losing a little water over time and after all the other mechanical improvements I've done (like the sump seal work), I wanted to get to the bottom of where the water was going. So I borrowed my brothers snap on pressure tester and found 5 issues!
4 were easy fixes, new cap, tighten jubilees etc... but one leak was a drip from the smiths heater valve. There are loads of replacement valves on the internet, especially for triumph and land rover and they look similar except that the inlet pipe is angled on mine, so that makes it rare as hens teeth! I could get regular one and steal the diaphragm from it as I suspect that's the issue, but thought I'd ask on here in case anyone has seen one or knows where I can get just the rubber diaphragm/washer thing inside.
(pic is reference from internet to show what the diaphragm/washer looks like)
Attachments
360-410 Heater Valve components.JPG
360-410 Heater Valve components.JPG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1167 times