Paint advice please

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Luxobarge

Re: Paint advice please

#21 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 pm

gazza82 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 am
I've used some of the Bilt-Hamber products but not in earnest yet. I used the Hydrate-80 on a small patch on my old Alfa 156. It worked really well.

I've also used the Deox-C on some parts to good effect .. I soaked a couple of old MG Midget rear brake backplates in a bowl of that for a few days .. and was very pleased with the results .. (except it showed up the myriad of tiny rust holes!! These are now plugged with metal putty which is very mouldable!).
Just for clarity, those products (good though they may be) are of the "rust converter" type, i.e. they react with the rust to turn it into a different (more inert) compound. The products discussed above are waxy/oily type liquids, intended to protect the steel from going rusty in the first place, by stopping water and moisture getting to the metal.

Two different product groups for two different purposes, both good in their own way though of course.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

gazza82

Re: Paint advice please

#22 Post by gazza82 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am

Was sort of assuming, given the age of our vehicles, most would need some rust conversion prior to rust prevention! Take your point though ;)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck