Trafficators with flashing indicators

Post your technical queries / problems here!
malcolmd

Trafficators with flashing indicators

#1 Post by malcolmd » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 am

Hi
I hope someone can help me. I have a 1954 Austin Somerset which has had flashing indicators fitted, but I would like to reinstate the semaphores to work at the same time.Is anyone please able to explain or preferably show me a diagram of how to accomplish this.
Looking on the internet I found a diagram, but it used two separate flasher relays (one for each side), This seems strange, but is it correct? Would I need to fit a relay to reduce the current at the indicator switch?
With kind regards
Malcolm

suffolkpete

Re: Trafficators with flashing indicators

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 am

It really depends on how the flashers were wired, but the normal way is to connect the flasher unit input to ignition live and feed the output via the switch. You can't use the switch output for the semaphores because this would be flashing and it would also overload the flasher unit, so the diagram you saw is probably correct. You would need to connect ignition live directly to the switch centre contact and then connect one flasher unit and one semaphore to each output of the switch. Using a relay is a good idea as the switch load would be increased, you would need one per side.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

gazza82

#3 Post by gazza82 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 am

Pretty sure this has been discussed on our A30/A35 Owners' Club forum a few times .. the A30 and early vans had semaphores too ..

Some others have gone a stage further and fitted flashing LEDs to the semaphores to "emphasis their presence" ... ;)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

malcolmd

#4 Post by malcolmd » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:40 am

Hi
Many thanks