Laser Alldrive

Post your technical queries / problems here!
malcolmd

Laser Alldrive

#1 Post by malcolmd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi
I need to get a new socket set and regularly work on classic cars necessitating metric, af and whitworth sockets. I was looking at the Laser Alldrive kits. Can anyone comment on the quality and effectiveness?

JPB

Re: Laser Alldrive

#2 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 am

They're seemingly inexpensive, but the one major downside to any "one size fits all" product in a socket is that they cannot be as strong under load at a given input and size, since they cannot possibly sit squarely on the flats of every fastener within their range. I had some sockets that were designed to perform a similar trick some years ago and replaced those one by one as they split. They didn't break when I was using them daily, but since they were donated to the college workshops at my former workplace, they have proven themselves to be less than student proof. :oops:

I'd buy a handful of the sockets in my most often used sizes and see how you get on. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

gazza82

Re: Laser Alldrive

#3 Post by gazza82 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Halfords Professional range are guaranteed for life. :thumbs:

I've been slowly adding to my collection as I need and as these are available as individual sockets it's easy to pick up another one when needed. I've got a lot from sets I've bought/been bought that I've probably never used! I've recently replaced a 13mm and 1/2" one as these get used a lot (and my original "bitza" set were starting to crack)
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck