BMW E36 Bonnet Locked!

Post your technical queries / problems here!
RogertheBodger

BMW E36 Bonnet Locked!

#1 Post by RogertheBodger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:45 pm

My son has an E36 Convertible which I sold him a few years ago. Unfortunately, he's unable to open the bonnet since the cable from the lever on the driver's A-Post to the offside bonnet catch has come off at the offside catch, so there's no Bowden cable attached to the catch. There's only the cable connecting the nearside to offside catch.

He's at a loss how to get the bonnet open. He's had suggestions like "break the kidney grilles", "angle grind a hole in the bonnet", "remove the offside sidelight", "smash and remove the headlight", remove the under tray and bumper"......

None of the sensible suggestions have worked, BMW did a good job of making the bonnet catches very secure. Stiff coat hanger wire (my suggestion) didn't work either, there is no open lever on the bottom of the catch.

Any suggestions, please? The car is too good to scrap :-(

RogertheBodger

Re: BMW E36 Bonnet Locked!

#2 Post by RogertheBodger » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:32 pm

It's now unlocked!! If you're wondering how it's done, my son had to remove the front bumper and undertray, lie on his back under the front of the car and cut away some plastic shrouding above the air con condenser (just below the latch). He was then able to click the latch open, release the other latch with the connecting bowden cable, and Hey Presto!

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:18 pm

I was wondering! Earlier today, I spent a while scouring youtube and various other sites just in case there was something out there that you'd missed from your own research into this issue, but I found nothing that would have helped so I'm pleased to read that the bonnet was finally opened without too much hassle.
We all love a happy ending!

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

RogertheBodger

#4 Post by RogertheBodger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm

;) thanks for your efforts, John

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 am

:thumbs: pics please! :thumbs: