Battery question

Post your technical queries / problems here!
MarinaCoupe

Battery question

#1 Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Anyone know about batteries?

I have a brand new unused Bosch 075 battery, which I bought 4 year ago and never fitted. Obviously it's flat, but would it be possible to recharge it on a trickle charger after so long?

All advice appreciated.

alabbasi

Re: Battery question

#2 Post by alabbasi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 am

Newer chargers with microprocessors do not like completely dead batteries. If you have one with a timer, charge it at 10 amps for a while so that it has some charge and then switch to an automatic charger.

MarinaCoupe

#3 Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks Alabbasi

I have an old school (classic) battery charger, I'll give it a go.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am

As above. batteries do not like to be left in a discharged state, so it may or may not be OK - only one way to find out, give it a good charge and see if it works. Does your charger have an ammeter on it? If so, you're looking for the charge rate to go down to zero, and for the battery (charger disconnected) to give you around 14 volts (or at least high 13s) on a meter.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Talking Hoarse

#5 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 am

I have just disposed of such a battery that was utterly lifeless when I got the old Datsun - the battery was 5 or 6 years old but the car had been standing untouched for almost all of that time. I budgeted for a new battery, but also tried to resurrect the old one. My 4 amp charger wouldn't add any life to it after a week of charging, I even tried adding a bulb in parallel as a load to no avail. Reading up suggested it was sulphated - and with nothing to lose (and wearing overalls and wellies in case the battery case split) I tried dropping the battery about 3 inches onto the concrete floor a couple of times (supposedly to dislodge the sulphation). I also borrowed a (½ amp?) motor bike battery charger that had a pulse charge setting - and together after several days the battery was charged. It actually survived and did really well until about 3 weeks ago ie about 7 years on the Datsun.
So have you anything to lose? Good luck
Ed