Grinder discs, which ones are best?

Post your technical queries / problems here!
pryantcc

Grinder discs, which ones are best?

#1 Post by pryantcc » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Hello folks,
Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which manufacturer's cutting discs last longest/preform best? At the moment I'm looking at buying a bulk quantity of the super-thin 1mm variety but I don't want to buy a heap of rubbish ones.

In my experience there are definitely some that seem to disintegrate on contact and require replacing in no time at all and others seem to live a little longer. I've never made a scientific comparison though. Anyone know if PC have ever done one? On anyone using them on a professional basis and have a recommendation?

Thanks,
Paul.

TerryG

Re: Grinder discs, which ones are best?

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon May 01, 2017 10:49 pm

I use "blue Spot" ones from ebay. They don't have any difficulty cutting through 4mm chassis steel or 1.5mm bodywork stuff. They aren't expensive and work well. Machine mart do a range of thin ones which were disappointing, they aren't flat (they have a dish in the middle) which puts them right at the edge of the guard on my grinder which I don't like.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Penguin45

#3 Post by Penguin45 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 pm

I bought a tin of Erbauer ones from Screwfix - £10 for 10 and a nice tin. Very poor life and one disintegrated on first start up before I'd even hit the metal. That was mildly exciting... Now I buy bulk boxes from my local welding supplies place. Unbranded, cheap, fine.

P45.

Grumpy Northener

#4 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 06, 2017 11:04 am

I use these on a very regular basis and from experience the known branded products although being more expensive far outlast the cheap rubbish ones - my bodyshop supplier currently sends me 'Sealey' branded ones - cost twice as much as the cheaper no name stuff but last four times longer
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

arceye

#5 Post by arceye » Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Being somewhat limited in choice by living in the back of beyond my experience may well be narrower than others, but,
I've bought a few different types off ebay and have been disappointed with all of them so I generally go back to what the local hardware shop sells. Those in the local shop are £1 each and are branded "Faithfull" and marked as for stainless steel, I've found them to cut well and last longer than the others I've tried.

Edit.... Found some on the bay of fleas, these are the type I like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-100mm-x- ... SwcgNZCgBz

pryantcc

#6 Post by pryantcc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:36 pm

I ended up buying these. Just 30p each and they are quite durable!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-50-Pa ... 27efb5ddc2