Useless(new) Spare parts

Post your technical queries / problems here!
jagiron

Useless(new) Spare parts

#1 Post by jagiron » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:44 pm

Useless spare parts. :x Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier for an o/d switch(top of gear lever) for my MGB, have tried two from different sources and both faulty.Cannot see one on MGOC.

JPB

Re: Useless(new) Spare parts

#2 Post by JPB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:40 pm

I suggested three the first time you posted this question.. ;) But, as the car is a 1967 example, the o/d switch should be a toggle on the dashboard, the stalk on the column came along in 1970ish, at around the time that the original chrome slatted grille gave way to the recessed black one, and finally, the slide switch on the knob only found its way from Triumphs to MGBs shortly after rubber bumpers. So either someone figured that making it necessary to remove a hand from the wheel to engage overdrive was a good idea and changed the knob and the gear lever for a hollow one, or the car is newer than you thought it was?

:idea: Apologies for asking the obvious, but have you checked that the wiring actually comes up through the lever? It should come up behind the speaker grille straight to the original location in the dash, maybe it's only the knob that is "wrong" for the year?
The switches I posted in the other thread are correct for a 1967 car.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

jagiron

#3 Post by jagiron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 am

Hi John, sorry for confusion, this query relates to my `78 MGB,not my older one,so it is the gear lever switch I am asking about :oops:.Ron

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:29 am

OK, so to save us quoting sources that you've already tried can you tell us where you got the two faulty ones?

Even with the well-known carp quality of aftermarket spares these days it's unusual to have two faulty ones, so John's comments about making sure that the wiring going up the gear lever is sound is a good call - make sure this is absolutely spot on, and if you think the switch is faulty then prove it with a meter off the car.

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

jagiron

#5 Post by jagiron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:48 am

Hi again, yes had wiring checked (by garage) when wiring was renewed after burn out! They also checked switch.One switch was purchased on e-bay, but can`t remember who supplied it .The other was from MGB Hive (cash refunded very quickly).
Ron

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am

jagiron wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:17 am
Hi John, sorry for confusion, this query relates to my `78 MGB,not my older one,so it is the gear lever switch I am asking about :oops:.Ron
Ah! My error then and you're not the one who should apologise, that'll be me.. Again! I must have misread something somewhere. I blame climate change..
:oops:
These slide switches tend to be less durable than the older types but whether this is down to extraordinarily bad luck, or ageing to the insulation where the wiring rises through the lever, this shouldn't be too difficult to sort. I've seen more than a handful of cars with gearknob-mounted o/d switches where the constant flexing and heat from the underside has caused insulation to crack and in some cases, the wire itself will then fail or short against the inside of the lever. I'm thinking that the o/d switch as found in Triumphs is likely to be the same part and as such, James Paddock - a consistently reliable supplier in my experience - may be worth a call but definitely check that wiring and maybe run some fresh, silicon insulated stuff of the modern type up the lever for future reliabllity.
;)

Does this look familiar?..
http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/gearlever ... e-switch-4
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Toledo Man

#7 Post by Toledo Man » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 pm

If it the same as the Triumph ones try T.D. Fitchett as well.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

jagiron

#8 Post by jagiron » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks again, yes garage checked wiring and fitted line fuse to circuit on o/d because there was not one apparently, also "heat tubed" the wiring up to switch,will try suggestion of suppliers, sorry again for confusion, I know all about"climate change" in my case it is "age" change.
Ron