Electric Fuel Pump to suit SU Carb

Post your technical queries / problems here!
arceye

Re: Electric Fuel Pump to suit SU Carb

#11 Post by arceye » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks Luxo, I'll definitely report on success or lack of :)

arceye

#12 Post by arceye » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 pm

:oops: Well, after all that the electric pump arrived but I had a brainwave and this happened instead

A little tidying and dressing of the new hole and this fitted

Well the engine was in a few lumps at the time and the cam has the pump lobe even though the casing is cast where the hole would normally be.

Just need some gaskets to arrive so that i can get the sump on properly and I'll hopefully be good to go. I just wish I'd thought to do this before I spent that £20 on a pump I hopefully won't need.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Be aware that the diaphragm in many older mechanical pumps will be made from latex, which will dissolve in use with modern fuel, filling your engine's sump with petrol that will spout from the oil filler cap when the engine is running. I had this happen with the last (new, old stock) pump I fitted to a Reliant engine but fortunately this Torrey Canyon impression was performed before I'd even got the car off the drive, so the engine wasn't harmed and all I had to do was fill the sump with fresh oil, swap the pink diaphragm for a black one (nitrile, but test with some petrol as the colour isn't always proof of the diaphragm being made from the appropriate type of rubber), then pop a new filter on and all was well.

A rebuild kit from Moprod is available for the type of pump you have there but many such kits contain older latex diaphragms so again, check that the pump won't let you down in this way before you risk running it.
All of the new solid state electric pumps are compatible with unleaded fuel up to (and quite likely beyond) E10 spec so please, check that the pump you're fitting won't fill the sump as well as supplying some fuel to the float chamber.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#14 Post by arceye » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:10 am

Cheers John, the pump has been in use until a week or so ago on the A30's engine so I know its currently ok, but yes, its been on my mind since I put the little car on the road that I should perhaps bring it into line with modern fuels.

Better spend a little more money :( :lol: this has all started because I decided to remove the head from the engine that was in the A30 as she was breathing a little heavily, badly worn bores were revealed despite her not being a smoker. The 1098 being available for free and showing very little signs of wear has dictated the current path. If this all works out as it should then even if I decide on a slight brake upgrade it should still work out cost effective and give a useful increase in usability.

I'll update the A30 thread when I know how it works out

:thumbs: