Rust treatment

Post your technical queries / problems here!
RangerNeil

Rust treatment

#1 Post by RangerNeil » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:04 am

What, in the collective opinion, is the best product for treating surface rust these days? Other than media blasting... :)
The last article I recall from Practical Classics recommended Dinitrol RC800 - is that stll a valid recommendation or are there now better options on the market??

Opinions/recommendations please folks! :)
Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

Penguin45

Re: Rust treatment

#2 Post by Penguin45 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:20 am

Wire wheel, phosphoric acid. Be very careful with both, but highly effective.

P45.

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:52 am

As above, mechanical removal of rust is always best, I only use chemicals as a last resort and even then after using them you need to remove every trace of the treatment if you want the paint to bond properly to the metal afterwards. I use a wide variety of wire brushes of various shapes on a drill, grinding disks, sanders etc. - depends on the shape and characteristics of what you're trying to clean up really.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

RangerNeil

#4 Post by RangerNeil » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

Plan is - as advised - to clean off the excess surface rust with a combination of wire wheels. and flap wheels to get down to as smooth a surface as possible then treat that surface so that anything remaining in the pitting is neutralised stopping me getting bubbles reforming any time soon after.
Obviously severe stuff has to be cut away and the mtatl replaced. But for areas like the ones below I am thinking that this process should work well:

Neil.
Cars
1974 Saab Type 95
1963 Saab Sport

Green Machines
19xx Czech built UAZ 469
1957 AEC Militant Mk 1 6x6 Ten tonner
1974 Landrover 109" FFR Series 3

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:16 pm

2nd & 3rd pictures I'd be using fresh metal I think, once you get to grinding and brushing I think you'll find there's not much left.....
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Penguin45

#6 Post by Penguin45 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Agreed. Save time and get the slitting discs out.

P45.

Grumpy Northener

#7 Post by Grumpy Northener » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:31 am

Having spent 40 years restoring all types of classics (some of that time professionally) the best process / product process to date that I have for isolated rust removal is pretty much what has already been stated by fellow forum members - the flap wheel wins every time in my book - followed by a rotary wire brush - the final product I use is Bilt Hamber's Deox Gel (www.bilthamber.com) which is highly effective and inexpensive - in both the flap wheel & rotary wire brush cases I only ever use top quality products - buy the cheap stuff and you soon get brassed off with the poor results in the way that the flap wheel clogs & burns along with wire brush falling apart before the drill barely turns :evil:
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Luxobarge

#8 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:08 am

Grumpy Northener wrote: in both the flap wheel & rotary wire brush cases I only ever use top quality products - buy the cheap stuff and you soon get brassed off with the poor results in the way that the flap wheel clogs & burns along with wire brush falling apart before the drill barely turns :evil:
I know what you mean, I'm having increasing trouble getting decent rotary wire brushes that last more than 5 minutes - so tell me, what brand to you recommend and where do you get them from?

Cheers! :D

Grumpy Northener

#9 Post by Grumpy Northener » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Luxo - I use a company called Anvil: http://www.wire-brush.co.uk/ on line ordering etc and they do a complete range which is miles better than your usual rubbish found in the DIY / tool stores

Regards

Chris
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Luxobarge

#10 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Grumpy Northener wrote:Luxo - I use a company called Anvil: http://www.wire-brush.co.uk/ on line ordering etc and they do a complete range which is miles better than your usual rubbish found in the DIY / tool stores
Cheers Chris - brilliant! Looks like a good company, I've used those nylon filament brushes before but my last one is nearly worn out and I didn't know where to get more, so they've just got another customer!

Good stuff - thanks again.

Note to others - if you're in the business of cleaning up rusty metal, do have a look at that link, that's what I mean by "wire brushes in a variety of shapes and sizes depending on the shape of the area to be cleaned" - if they don't do a brush in the right shape or size then there probably isn't one!

Cheers all :D