Adjusting cable brakes

Post your technical queries / problems here!
malcolmd

Adjusting cable brakes

#1 Post by malcolmd » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:54 am

Hi
I have a 1939 Sunbeam-Talbot 10 with cable operated brakes all round. I have just had to purchase new shoes and have the cables re-made. Any advice on setting up and adjusting the cables?
Malcolm

Minxy

Re: Adjusting cable brakes

#2 Post by Minxy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 pm

Good day Malcolm
I'm not familiar with the Talbot set up so can't advise directly. My Lanchester has cable brakes but the manual only says to adjust the shoes in the normal manner but makes no reference to the cables. When I gave my brakes a thorough going over while recommissioning I just made sure the cables were free to move and greased up, I then slackened them off slightly, adjusted the shoes and then pulled up the cable to suit. It's important that any quadrants operate at 90 degrees to give full effect but other than that I have very little info.
It may be worth trying the 'old classic car forum' as it's very active particularly with owners of older cars and I'm sure, with respect to this forum, you might get more feed back on there. Are you aware there is a Talbot/Sunbeam owners club/ forum I seem to recall its called STAR or similar ( try Googling)
Nice car by the way - it was a model I was considering when I purchased my Lanchester
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

Minxy

#3 Post by Minxy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:56 pm

Just checked its 'the sunbeam Talbot alpine resister.com
Never play chess with a pigeon. It will knock all the pieces over, S*#t on the board and then strut around pretending it won.

gazza82

#4 Post by gazza82 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:46 pm

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

malcolmd

#5 Post by malcolmd » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi
Many thanks for your reply!
I have to say the Lanchester is also a very lovely car.
I have always had cars from the 50s and 60s. It is a steep learning curve going pre-war. The cars are remarkably more primaries to drive and the comparative lack of spares and information is s bit of a shock!!
Malcolm