London Ultra Low Emission Zone

Post your technical queries / problems here!
Nastyjar

London Ultra Low Emission Zone

#1 Post by Nastyjar » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:50 am

Hi all. I originally posted this on the General Discussion forum, but on reflection, it probably belongs more in Technical Queries.

As you may have heard, The Mayor of London has proposed that in a few years all petrol cars moving within the boundary of North Circular and South Circular will have to satisfy Euro 4. It will be £12.50 a day if you don't.

As the owner of a 2001 Euro 3 1.8 non-turbo two wheel drive Audi A3, this is a bit of a problem.

What do people think of my chances of converting my current car to Euro 4 standards? The difference between Euro 3 and Euro 4 for petrol cars seems to be a tightening of the limits, rather than wholly new requirements, so I wonder if some modifications and re-testing might do the trick.

I know moving outside of London would solve the immediate problem, but for various reasons, that doesn't work for me. Likewise, I know I could simply scrap my fairly boring, mundane car, but I quite like boring mundane cars and don't mind looking after them.

Thanks in advance!

TerryG

Re: London Ultra Low Emission Zone

#2 Post by TerryG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:12 pm

'ello,
If you have a look at your post in general chat: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6517
you've got some answers. The summery version is adapting your car is cost prohibitive.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.