Lacquering wood

Post your technical queries / problems here!
TerryG

Lacquering wood

#1 Post by TerryG » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:14 pm

OK gents, working my way through sorting interior trim as the weather is so lousy I can't go outside and finish welding. I have a partially wood rimmed steering wheel to fit which has chunks of lacquer missing through years of wear. I'm going to sand it all off and stain it to match the rest of my trim BUT, what do I use to give a shiny finish resistant to being used for the next 20 years?
(I still haven't been brave enough to strip my centre console)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Luxobarge

Re: Lacquering wood

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:18 pm

It does what it says on the tin....... ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 pm

So the popular product (or range of products) that would be used for protecting exterior wood is safe to put on a steering wheel and it won't come off on my hands?

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 am

TerryG wrote:So the popular product (or range of products) that would be used for protecting exterior wood is safe to put on a steering wheel and it won't come off on my hands?

They do more than fence paint:

They do a clear gloss floor varnish too, which I would assume is even tougher, if that's what you're looking for.

I painted my Midget wooden steering wheel in the satin version of this and it still looks like new 10 years later, that's why I mention it. I personally preferred the satin look, but gloss is equally valid of course and I see no reason why it should work any less well.

Or you could do a search for yacht varnishes - I'd have thought that they would work quite well too, so long as you don't get any runs and wait for them to thoroughly dry.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:38 pm

can you spray these products?

TerryG

#6 Post by TerryG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks Luxo, honestly I hadn't even thought of that stuff, I assumed they just did varnish / paint for decking and fences.
The reason I want to paint it with gloss is all the other trim that I don't need to re-do has glossy so this would look odd in a matt finish.
Rich, I know they do a spray fence paint as I've seen it advertised on TV. I'm only doing my centre console and steering wheel so don't think I'll be going that far :)

Luxobarge

#7 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Indeed - Rich, I wouldn't bother trying to spray gloss varnish, you won't get a noticably better finish than using a decent brush, and unlike cellulose etc. it doesn't "flash off" quickly so your chances of getting a run are much increased. I'd only consider spraying if it were a matter of covering a large area quickly, rather than an issue of the quality of finish, personally.

Cheers! :D

alabbasi

#8 Post by alabbasi » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:22 am

Use automotive clear coat (the stuff you paint your car with). It's got great UV protection and is tougher then anything used inside. It also chemically hardens.

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:51 pm

do you have to use special breathing equipment for that stuff? isocyanates & that sort of thing?

alabbasi

#10 Post by alabbasi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:05 am

rich. wrote:do you have to use special breathing equipment for that stuff? isocyanates & that sort of thing?
Are you talking about automotive clear? I use a mask like this

I'm not sure what the legal requirements are in the UK. But most wood restoration shops use automotive clear because it sets up as hard as stone, has excellent gloss and UV protection.