Carb vacuum advance port

Post your technical queries / problems here!
MarinaCoupe

Carb vacuum advance port

#1 Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:17 pm

I have broken off the brass vacuum advance port/connector on a carb I was dismantling, does anyone know where I can get a new one? I can drill out the old one easily enough.

Any advice appreciated.

JPB

Re: Carb vacuum advance port

#2 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Once you pull the stump out, use a piece of copper brake pipe in the hole, open it out only slightly and the brake pipe will fit or use the size below and some JBWeld to keep it there (Please don't use ordinary epoxy resins as they don't withstand the range of temperatures or the possible exposure to fuel vapour). The 3/16" I/D is slightly smaller but for the purpose of the exercise won't make any difference. The larger end of the vacuum advance/retard pipe will stretch over the protruding bit and will be tight enough not to come off but not so stretched that it will split. I've done that as I managed to pull off a vacuum pipe with the stump still attached before now, but rubber was definitely fresher for longer then than now!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 am

What sort of carb is it for?

I'm presuming an SU, in which case you could contact Burlen Fuel systems (usually very helpful) who are the main factors for SU and a few other makes now.

http://sucarb.co.uk/?SID=2btgh1brt0frrn ... __store=su

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

MarinaCoupe

#4 Post by MarinaCoupe » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks guys,

I have checked the SU Carbs site but not listed. I'll give them a call tomorrow.